Sunday, June 10, 2012

visitors













Had visitors on Friday.  They all had to come back for a re shoot - my poor old dust filled camera has a little trouble with focus now and then.  These folks are all planning on making the move to our little Hell we call Terlingua.  Meet Mike (with his new friend Mr. Floppy).  Meet Chris, his wife Nicole, and there daughters Santa Alayna and Queen Elizabeth (that's how I can remember the girls' names).

Since Carl has been sleeping inside my house at night, I've noticed that he has been wantin' to roost.  Every time I get up from my chair, he jumps on the back of it.  He has been sleeping on an old towel on my bed in the evenings while I am on the computer.  I wake him up every time he nods off.  When I go to bed he has been sleeping on an old coat I put on top of my chest freezer.  Rigged him up a roosting pole to enhance his sleeping pleasure - he seemed to appreciate the effort last night.  If you don't want your rooster to crow at 4 AM, hang out with him and keep him up till 11 PM.  Carl sleeps in till 6:30 now.

Planted more seeds today:  carrots, collard greens, soy beans, pole beans, and some artichokes.  Stuck the seeds in the new blend of native soil, commercial potting mix, and fresh TFL compost.

Had a nice chat this evening with Carl Erickson from http://www.savethefood.org/   We are trying to figure out how to get funds together to get one of their solar ice makers out here.  Building one of these from scratch is on the TFL long list.  98,108,68,0,C,0

12 comments:

Andy V said...

Best of luck to Chris and family on their move. Looking forward to following their blog.

Scuba Steve said...

Does Carl crap when he's indoors or does he hold off until he's outside in the morning?

Alexander Kingsbury said...

Long time reader and big fan.
If you'd like, I can send you an article I have outlining construction of a solar icemaker. I think it works the same way, and the bill of materials comes to around $500.

John Wells said...

thanks King Al....I have that article.

Dale said...

Carl LOL, brother you got a heart of gold.

Chris Miller said...

Thanks for having us out, John. My favorite part was when Carl tried to remove my big toe. He waited until you walked away though as if to tell us that HE was actually the one running the show there. lol

It's funny you're talking about solar ice tonight because before I left for Terlingua I started looking into these ice / water machines that we have here in AZ. I had a little post already in the works about it so I went ahead and posted it if you want to check it out:

http://www.our180.com/2012/06/11/filtered-water-ice-in-terlingua/

Think we could get anything like that down there? I think it could be fun to help operate one in the area. Don't think we could get rich selling ice and water but if it's something people can use and we can find a way to make the machine pay for itself? I know you drink more beer than water and I do too but i thought it was a neat idea anyway.... WAIT... maybe it can dispense BEER?!!

Cant wait to get there. I would gladly go in on these projects with you and see about making 2 at one time and saving some green.

Rita B. said...

Glad to see Floppy again...been missing his smiling face lately. with all those crops going in (and comin' out), you'll have to rename the place TFL FARM and RANCH.

Dizzy-Dick said...

You keep moving animals in your little house, you may have to expand. OH Yes, I guess that is what the greenhouse is for.

ratgirls said...

Carl is a real piece of work! I love it!

Allen Hare said...

Nice visitors. Like attracts like.

Yep, that Carl is something. Chickens are social creatures, and seem to enjoy hanging out with humans. Carl IS the alpha male chicken there, and he must assert his authority.

Solar Ice. The name alone conjures up Yin/Yang. A wonderfully incongruous concept. Thanks for the link.

Anonymous said...

happy learn Floppy still arround....would like take some new pics of him in my next drive by...would assume aprox 100F outside during this mo...

Indyanny said...

Karl will never know how good he's got it Kind of amazing how you worked out a way to get through the night with Mr. Rooster. Your animals are so entertaining, and everything you do at TFL! Salute to you!!