Saturday, April 27, 2019

new camera gear

My seven year old Canon T3i has taken a real beating over the years and is beginning to have intermittent problems and recently it blew over during the last Casita build video and the jack for the intervalometer broke off inside the camera.  I found a video on how to take the camera apart and replace the mic and external shutter release jacks...but I decided it was time for a new camera before I start taking this one apart (I put a lot of effort into my YouTube channel and I need good/reliable gear).  I easily found the replacement part on eBay and ordered one for 12 bucks.  I checked with Canon Factory Service and they no longer do any repairs or maintenance on this model.  I also sent off a repair request to another camera repair shop but won't hear back from them until Monday.  I am  certain I will be able to do the repair myself...but I am curious how much a camera repair shop would charge.  The new Canon T7 kit was $550 (my T3i was almost $800 just for the body and 2 lenses back in 2012).  For another 50 bucks I ordered a compatible battery grip and two extra batteries. I discovered a couple of years ago that having twice the battery power is a must - especially when shooting a lot of video or a long time lapse sequence.  The trade off on the new camera is the screen on the back is fixed and doesn't fold out or swivel - but the sensor is 24 megapixels vs. 18 megapixels on the old camera.  The new lenses are identical to the ones on the old camera, but the kit price with new lenses and all the extras was worth it compared to buying the body alone.  Last but not least - I have a new intervalometer coming too.  Gotta keep my YouTube subscribers happy...  90,97,59,0,C

5 comments:

David Johnson said...

I enjoy your channel very much. Thanks for all your hard work and dedication to the channel.

Sam Finn said...

I agree with David.

John Wells said...

Heard back from a camera repair shop late Saturday afternoon (they are in LA) and the repair estimate is $118 not including me shipping the camera to them - but includes free return shipping. Lower than I thought it would be - but I think I will do the repair myself with the $12 part I ordered.

Homer Ellinger said...

Cool new tools. Was it really 97 yesterday....already? wow

back2path said...

After using the T7 for awhile, any comments on it's quality, sharpness? I enjoy watching the build. 2x8s for the rafters? For additional insulation purposes? No rafter "tail", overhang? How much of the plans were spec'd by the owner and how much leeway do you have? Great job!