Saturday, February 12, 2022

adaptive...


Still pretty happy with Starlink.  No issues so far.  Planning on cutting the cord to Big Bend Telephone in another 2 weeks.  For now, I am waiting to hear back from complaints I filed with the FCC and the Texas Public Utilities Commission on whether or not BBT has to allow me to port my old landline number over to a cell phone.  A representative at BBT told me they do not allow it.  Seems the FCC instituted a law in 2003 that stated land based and cell phone networks must allow numbers to "change hands" between all carriers, but certain small wireline carriers were granted a waiver until the FCC could conclude and publish a study of the effects of number porting on them.  I can't find anything online about the verdict of "the study" and it has been almost 20 years since it was announced.  It could very well be that BBT has to allow it now, but they just don't know that yet.  I'm really not that attached to my phone number, but I would really like to know for sure if in fact I will have to get a new number when I get the cell phone.  In the meantime, I just received my Starlink ethernet adapter.  The Starlink router is Wi-Fi only, so I ordered this in case I ever want (or need) a wired line to it.  The adapter was only 20 bucks.  48,54,45,0,W

2 comments:

Paul said...

Was your service affected by the solar storm?
https://www.space.com/spacex-starlink-satellites-lost-geomagnetic-storm

John Wells said...

The storm did not affect Starlink service.