Tuesday, July 10, 2012

cowtastrophe...

Very long day today.  Poor old Bob the cow got stuck in the mud in the swamp.  She was stuck there for at least a day - possibly two.  I just happened to find her when my Facebook friend Keith Kidwell came out for a FL tour this morning.  I called the Cains, but Dick and his son were out herding some cattle.  I spent an hour digging the cow out when they finally arrived.  We got her loose but couldn't get her up with Dick's horse, so I brought out the truck and winch and we pulled her out of the swamp.  She still wouldn't stand and then it started to pour.  The Cains couldn't drive out with their truck and horse trailer so they rode home on horseback.  After the half hour downpour, I went to check on her - I reckoned that poor old Bob had drowned (she would have for sure if I hadn't found her this morning).  To my surprise she was standing just out of the water.  Too weak to walk much further, she laid back down.  I took her some food and water tonight which she happily accepted.  Hopefully she will be up and out on her own by morning.  At least she is high and dry now.  80,99,71, .38",B,0

16 comments:

Steven Leigh Morris said...

Poor baby!

ratgirls said...

You guys did a real good deed today. Poor thing. Hope she'll be okay.

MsBelinda said...

You definitively saved her life!

Why did you name a girl cow Bob?

Rita B. said...

That looks absolutely horrible. Poor Bob. Prayers that she'll be OK. Ya'll did good.

Anonymous said...

Its times like this for me personally I believe God set your friend up to come out so you would be there to help the cow out of a jam. I Love to see it when his plans come together. Those times when I just happen across someone or thing and I was there just in time to change the future or rather help the future along. Neat stuff

ken said...

Thanks John, I wish I was there to help. Tears me up to see things like this but you do live in the wild. I'm very glad that things turned out well.. Maybe Bob will come visit you to say thanks when she gains her strength

wickets said...

ditto on what ratgirls said

UTSA Paratrooper 04 said...

Good job.

Unknown said...

Good story, happy ending! Appreciate the pictures.

Cardiff Chris said...

thank you SO MUCH for saving her!!!!!!!!

Cardiff Chris said...

Thank you SO MUCH for saving her!

Noah Nemo said...

MsBelinda, isn't it rather obvious. After a full life as a breeder, "Bob The Cow" will be performing as a rodeo roping cow, then after she's all broke down, she'll get auctioned off and reduced to...shish-ka-Bob.

Rita B. said...

condolences John....and the Cains. Bob was a beauty.

Hoodoo2222 said...

Bob"s not dead yet Rita.

Unknown said...

This is an amazing little photodoc, stunning pictures that are very compelling, showing the harsh reality of the desert and the great rugged beauty of the creatures that live there! i hope Bob recovers.

Allen Hare said...

I saw this same scenario with a horse when I was a teenager. It's sad and tragic.