Sunday, November 9, 2014

Road Rage

One of the main reasons I moved out here was to reduce stress in my life.  Overcoming obstacles daily on my own terms builds upon that goal.  Each new thing I figure out or prepare for is one less thing to worry about.  I rarely beat myself up over an unforeseen circumstance because it is a rarity.  All of that is precisely why the road issue tends to catch me off guard.  Someone rutting up my road after a storm produces more frustration and sadness than anger...but it is that smidgen of anger that really gets my attention.  It is very easy to just go with the anger.  Watching someone do something that adversely effects others seemingly without regard for anyone other than themselves drives me crazy.  It really makes that "love thy neighbor" rule hard to swallow.

Today I took a step back to look at the big picture - because anger is only fun for a little while.  There are over 7 billion people on earth right now.  Every second of every day - somewhere someone is doing something that is pissing someone else off.  The problem with the world today is that the emphasis of every "consequence of action" is more about the deed done and less about the reaction to it.  The Bible teaches that love conquers all - but it can't unless we give it a shot at every opportunity.

Ephesians 3:16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with the might by his Spirit in the inner man;  17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 May be able to comprehend with all saints that is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; 19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fullness of God. 20 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, 21 Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.  

16 comments:

czardastx said...

It's just a fucking road John. It will be rutted now, it will be rutted tomorrow, it has been rutted yesterday. It's going to be a part of your life, and you're figuring out that getting mad about it isn't going to make the ruts go away or keep them from happening in the future. Accept people for who they are, what they do, and just being themselves. The big thing to take away from this is that it wasn't done to you individually. Yes people can be selfish and only think of themselves. When you get angry you are only doing the same, thinking of yourself and your reaction. It's hard to get away from that but it can be done.

KW said...

My wife's comment to my "road rage" :

"You know... Whenever you get mad and fuss at other drivers, I'm the only one that hears it"

Therefore, I'm doing the fussing with no regard for her just as the other driver did something with no regard for others. It's a hard row to hoe, this forgiving, do unto others thing. But I work on it everyday just as you are. This is all we can do. Baby steps! Good thing we have a patient God.

rondeb said...

You feel that way because you yourself wouldn't consider damaging other peoples property or stealing from someone else or intentionally doing harm to them. It is hard not to get made and betrayal for those that do not understand that same concept. We have been robbed before and the feeling of being violated took a very long time to get over. It is just very hard to understand why someone else can do these things with no regard to the feelings of other people. I know that drugs have created a society of takers, but it goes beyond that.

TruthHurts said...

Funny that you get angry about a road you dont even pay to maintain. Newsflash: The rest of us who pay our fees that YOU AVOID - we own that road. We'll do whatever we want with it.

Margery Billd said...

That was very smart to de-stress. When I get upset at a sudden situation, I try to pause,even lie down and think and consider, adjust, and figure out. I have used all names like evil, etc. but people are what they are and I have to accept, do my own thing, forgive and move on. I don't forget but learn but I do not want to get rutted in the past because new things are always happening and I want to be aware and up for change. Of course I think having emotions and venting a little is not unhealthy. Forgive yourself and move on. There are no big deals today that won't resolve themselves. Can't cry over spilt milk.

Unknown said...

I get what you were saying, John, and I greatly appreciate you saying it. Truth is, it was never really about the road in the first place, but about allowing God to take control of our feelings of annoyance, aggravation and anger. By going back to The Word of God and relying on it to lead and guide us, we are able to see the bigger picture of life...our own and the lives of others.
We can not make other people adhere to our code of ethics...but we shouldn't even be thinking along those lines in the first place.
It is love...the love of God...extended to others, especially the most unlovable and in the most trying of times...that brings us real peace and somehow reduces the stresses and aggravations of life.
God can and will use anything to get our attention...even a rutted road.
No...it was never about the road. The road was simply a tool God used to get your attention.
Go with God, and be blessed in all things.

Dizzy-Dick said...

Amen to that, John.

Rev.jimmyleebob said...

well, at least you know now it one of your neighbors intentionally doing it .
It usually is someone you know..........

Larry G said...

was not clear if it was the road on john's property or a public road that John uses.

I think this shows the distinction between what you can control and what you cannot and it's illustrated thus:

" God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference."

Unknown said...

If it was intentional the person truly has issues. Otherwise some people have to go to work, or else ware that may be of importance. I know, each jar on the road kills my back -- but I know what I am getting into. I think if you have to use the muddy road for good reason then do it as carefully as possible and if not stay home and enjoy the rain ;) (From an owner at TR -- M)

Margery Billd said...

The pre-big C can be one of the things to deal with from serious stress. So I realized yesterday that my pets help me so much just being there and I am healthy today. Sometimes I don't realize enough what other people are dealing with. Everyone has a story. I have to remember to pray and put my faith in the higher being and have gratitude. I need to listen too. HE has a plan. I am not the one in charge. I can just do what is in front of me.

Mike Silvius said...

Never been one for turning the other cheek, especially when you know you will get slapped again. Rage is no use in it self, other than providing the impetus to confront evil so that it ensures the perps pay a price, and thus learn a lesson for their thoughtlessness and do not do it again. Thus you are not angry, you are a teacher. ;-) I am still voting for spike strips in the mud.

Unknown said...

It had an impact on me way up here in Lincoln. How unnecessary.

D. B. Day IV said...

It is a spiritual axiom that every time we are disturbed - no matter what the cause - something is wrong with us.

Anonymous said...

Most of the people who commented seemed to have missed the point. It was a good point and a good example of how to use Gods Words on a day to day basis. J. Dee and Dizzy Dick got it. Amen to them and to you John.
Believing in God means believing in what he says. Thanks for sharing the scripture John.

Unknown said...

All of us pay state fees, including John. That means you are able to drive on them. That also means you will follow the law. And road rage is reckless driving, which is against the law, friend.