Sunday, November 30, 2014

Witness

Acts1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Witness (from the Greek) - martus:  1 one who is a spectator of anything.  2 to give testimony of an observance or faith. 3  those who after his example have proved the strength and genuineness of their faith in Christ by undergoing a violent death (martyr).

Believers are all obligated to be witnesses for Jesus Christ.  Most of us will probably never experience intense persecution let alone martyrdom because of our faith yet martyrdom is anything but extinct. Estimates are that more people died for the cause of Christ in the last century then in the preceding nineteen centuries combined. One reliable estimate indicates that currently a minimum of one thousand Christians lose their lives in martyrdom each day. Some estimates are considerably higher. However, without a powerful spiritual awakening it is clear that should persecution break out in North America (such as being experienced by our brothers and sisters in ChinaSudan or Iran) the majority of Christians here would never dare witness to anyone again. How can I be so sure? The fact is that the number one reason that Christians in the west do not witness to the lost today is that we are concerned about our social standing and how others will view us if we tell them about Jesus! Do you think we’d stand up for Christ if prison or a guillotine might be the end result?  The obligation is not excused because of a mortal threat. - Eric Barger

12 comments:

Unknown said...

What if our best intentions is to be good to one another all the time without anything to do with any religion? That is what I want to know. Why in Christianity does there have to be such rigid structure and dogma? Doing right in your heart to yourself, to others, spreading love and forgiveness. These are great acts, embraced by all men and women who seek the betterment of our human race. Love is all we have to build on...spread the love.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Ann; Jesus Christ died for you and I. Thar is love.

Larry G said...

I don't know about other folks God - but mine is like Anne's.

I try to lead my life doing right to others and part of that is not telling them how they should be viewing their GOD.

There are a billion Muslims in the world. there are hundreds of other religions. Each one thinks their's is the only one that God really supports.

A loving God would not pick one and tell the others they are going to hell.

yet.. this is what those who "witness" often seem to be saying - adopt our viewpoint or go to heck.

God's Love transcends man-created religion.. and man-created religious doctrine especially the kind that rejects others.

Margery Billd said...

For me, God reigns. He has been my guiding light and my everything all my life. I always knew God loved me. When I was 12 and joined the church, they solemnly asked me if I would be willing to die for my religion and I said yes and meant it. Since then, years ago, I thought considering all my friends, that any major religion that teaches the right way to live is o.k. I have visited so many denominations and asked to join - even Muslim (which I did not visit -sadly). Because today non Muslims are not welcome to visit in San Antonio. This is not right to me. A Middle East billionaire is building a big Muslim temple on a hill in the rich white Christian area. We are not welcome.

Larry G said...

Margery - that's the problem with man-created religion - they all say they believe in God and the values he teaches but they don't like each other.

I do not think God would teach that. That's why I call them man-created religions.

baba said...

Ann knows what God is.
Also, speaking of "martyrdom", let us remember all those who were killed "in the name of God or Jesus"... I suggest Richard Rohr's book Immortal Diamond for some enlightenment on the subject.
Love to you all.

Joseph Quigley said...

Always enjoy reading your Sunday posts John as they always seem to have an inspiration to them

dave_roads said...

people find "religion" in many ways just as everyone is different. i personally believe in god as much as the the tooth fairy. but that doesn't mean that i don't go to church daily. i like to listen to the ramblings of michael berry every afternoon on the am radio and that is my sermon. treat your wife, children and fellow men and women with respect if they are deserving of it. god did not create the galaxy which has no bounds. otherwise we are just a rod serling expirement from a 60's tv show. it's importannt not to judge people on their religious beliefs based solely on the belief of god but on their actions.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Once a friend of mine was struggling with alcoholism and I tried to help by suggesting he study the Bible. His immediate response was along the lines that since the Bible was written by man he couldn't put his trust in it. I wish I had been better prepared at the time to share the scriptures below.

"All scripture is given by the inspiration of God,
and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: ..."
(2 Timothy 3:16)

"For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man:
but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost."
(2 Peter 1:21)

"For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning,
that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope."
(Romans 15:4)

"... blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it."
(Luke 11:28)

amphibspook said...

A loving God (as ours is) just wants us to walk in His Sons path. Flavor of the week or century mean nothing in how we love each other.