Sunday, July 29, 2018

bearing false witness...

So I am torn today...  I noticed this morning that my YouTube channel was suddenly getting a lot of new subscribers.  It wasn't until this afternoon that I learned why.  One of my "Facebook friends" notified me she saw my video "the birthday brushing" on a wackjob conspiracy website she subscribes to.   I went to their YouTube channel and there was my video with over 4,000 views and over 100 comments so far today.  I also noticed that while they had given me credit for the video, they had monetized the views it gets for their channel.  Their wackjob conspiracy site has almost 400,000 subscribers (there are A LOT of conspiracy nuts out there).  I sent them a message that while I appreciated the share - I did not appreciate the fact that they did not contact me first and that they were getting income from views of my video on their channel.  So here is the dilemma.  Do I allow them to make money off my video in return for more subscribers?  The problem is - wackjobs are not really my target audience and most of their channel content is complete bullshit conspiracy nonsense.  What I decided to do was notify them that they are welcome to share my video, but they have to remove monetization.  If I don't get a response within 24 hours, I will file a copyright infringement notification with YouTube to have it removed from their channel.

Proverbs 19:5  A false witness shall not be unpunished, and he that speaketh lies shall not escape  

7 comments:

David Johnson said...

I agree John would have been nice to be asked first. Thanks for all you do to entertain us folks.

SpockJenkins said...

Tough call. Do you think it will affect your brand? A lot of people confuse off grid with crazy people. Perhaps you can spread a little normal in conspiracy land. Good luck!

Robert said...

I don't really see false witness but more like stealing content of a video that belongs to you. Should you be upset ? Yes the reason is common decency.
too many people could care less about doing the right thing times have changed.

John Wells said...

The website bares false witness because they make a great deal of money sharing stupid conspiracy theory nonsense.

B.B. Sutton said...

My take is, you should let them post your videos for the additional exposure. After all, had you not been contacted by your Facebook friend, you would have never known about the deceit anyway. You might even throw out a crazy conspiracy theory of your own every once in a while just to keep 'em on the hook....lol.

Margery Billd said...

What is crazy anyhow? What is anything anyway and by whose standards? But where is the money? Otherwise be done with it and sue.

MrWewoka said...

I hope you nail the suckers John!!!! Its the same as theft!!!!