Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Done with Hankook tires...

Just over a year ago I bought 4 new tires for my truck.  Since then I have had a flat on every one of them - the latest happening on Sunday.  I recently replaced two of them and had yet another flat on one of the brand new tires - for which I got a free replacement.  I am switching out all of the Hankooks this week with Cooper Discoverer AT3 LTs.  The are load rated E1 which is comparable to what used to be known as 10 ply (FYI - tires no longer have that many actual plies) and have a light truck rating which is a beefier tire than Ron Mahan's beloved standard load highway Michelin LTX M/S.  The two newest Hankooks will become my two new spare tires - one of my spares is 2 years old and the other is 6 years old.  I ordered the Coopers through Oasis Tire in Alpine because their price including mounting and balancing is only 10 bucks more than the online price (plus I still get a $70 rebate from Cooper).  If I bought them online, Oasis would charge me $25 each for mounting and balancing.  91,96,74,0,B

10 comments:

dav;d h said...

I'm looking forward to see how the Coopers work out.

owyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steve said...

Jon- I just purchased a 2018 Tacoma and upgraded tires at 200 miles. I have 4 265/70R16 GY Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure, DuPont Kevlar sidewalls for sale in Midland, TX. I was asking $480.00 on Facebook, you can have them for $350.00.

Email: texsdr@gmail.com

Robert said...

Tires have changed dramatically in the past 20 years I had a set of Dunlops in the 80s for a 3/4 ton truck that were great. However manufacturers are changing materials using thinner plys it's really a tough hunt to get good product any more . getting E range tires is the best way to go plus you really give those tires a workout on those roads the belts get stressed from the all the stones and impact then the centrifugal force on that hot blacktop moves the materials too much to stay in one piece . Good luck

Unknown said...

I love riding on new tires.

Jim said...

Same tires I got. They work great out there.

urbanwoodchuck said...

I also had poor experience with Hankook on my F150 -- multiple flats, etc. Just replaced a set of Cooper Discoverer RTXs -- they lasted 70,000 miles! If I had rotated them more often I probably could have gotten several thousand more miles but two finally developed some cupping. Replaced with a new set of Coopers and expect to get the same performance.

Patricia said...

Good tire I had a set...plus Paul Harvey recommended them on his radio show.

Ocotillo

Unknown said...

Have you tried using Aerospace 303 protectant? I recently learned that this has helped many increase the longevity of the rubber in a number of automobile applications - tires, wiper blades, seals, etc. It's going to be my next purchase and I just thought I'd share. I found it on 'Sweet Project Cars' (YouTube) when I was researching some other car issues.
Note: I just found your story by Kirsten on YouTube as well. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

GB
in the PNW

David said...

Great choice with the Coopers. Only tire company never to move manufacturing overseas for cheaper prices and higher profit margins. Every bit as good if not arguably better than the venerable Michelin for half the cost. I've been using a set of the newer Cooper Evolutions on my 4runner for over a year now and love them. Great in the dry and the wet. Always maintain even pressure among all 4 tires.