Thursday, June 18, 2009

over the learning curve

Started the day at 4AM for a change...not really by choice. I just woke up and couldn't go back to sleep. Nice to have your body tell you, " Hey man!...you've had more than enough sleep lately." My first real job back in my NYC days was at a catalog photo studio. One time I had a schedule of 8 still life re-shoots to look forward to the next day. I dreamt about them all night and woke up at 4AM freaked out about the stress of the coming workday. I much prefer waking up early because I've had enough sleep...that's one of the bonuses to this lifestyle.

Well as long as I was up, I did 3 hours of coffee and internet....my own little desert internet cafe. Thanks to Benita's inspiration yesterday - I mortared in parts of the west door and the south door. I fought a bit with the first couple of blocks but got the hang of it quickly. Satisfied with finally getting started on this phase - I quit when it started gettin hot at 10:30. Took a MUCH needed shower that felt absolutely wonderful ( my beard was a mess ).

Had a great couple of guys out to tour the Field Lab this afternoon. Ed and Tom. We did the rounds then sat'n'chatted in the shade of the front porch. They left around 1PM just when the sky started getting dark SW of me. We have a couple of 40% rain chances coming up over the next 48 hours. I shot in to the GrubShack to grab a couple of bags of ice just in case I get shut in by rain over the weekend. I kind of hated just stopping by and heading right home because I love to just hang out there. Stayed close to the phone much too long waiting to hear from a delivery driver. He finally checked in - I have a generator coming tomorrow morning. I have avoided buying one until now because I need it to power my welder out here. I don't reckon I will ever need to charge my systems with it as they are set up well to function using just the sun and the wind.

Got set up to set more block then it started to drizzle - packed up and battened down. As we are due for a cooler/cloudy day tomorrow - hope to finish the first course for all four entrances tomorrow. Just getting ready to upload my weather data for today to the NWS. High 100 Low 71 Temp at 8PM 72 Rain accumulation .07".

6 comments:

Old Wise One said...

John, have a question for you. I don't see a joint between the first row of blocks laid down. Is this the normal way to lay these type blocks. Keep up the good work, things are looking great.

John Wells said...

OWO...
After setting the first course in mortar - I am dry laying the rest of the block, filling the rebar voids with concrete. When all stacked, the wall gets a stucco coating of surface bonding cement on both sides to firm it all up.

Allen Hare said...

Hurray on the greenhouse walls! It's great to see them getting started. Your comment above is great info about your building tecnique. It sounds like it will be strong and good looking. Good luck.

Ben in Texas said...

John? you mentioned "getting ready to upload my weather data for today to the NWS. High 100 Low 71 Temp at 8PM 72 Rain accumulation .07".

You and I have the same weather station, where do you upload your readings to? I never did figer out how to upload mine. :-(

John Wells said...

Ben...
I am on a list to provide weather data to the National Weather Service in Midland. Upload isnt really the right word - They set me up with an account that I log on to every night to enter my data for the day. BTW - we had .40" in the last 24 hours. Hoping for more tonight!

Bob O said...

As Allen said, interesting technique with the blocks. What is the design driver to lay them this way? Tighter fit for less atmospheric interchange? Just curious.

Also, interesting comment and observation about the need for a generator to run your welder...part of the problem with wind and solar is that they just can't power high-end electric needs unless they are coupled with a dense storage medium...and then there is the whole AC/DC question. This might be interesting to investigate.