Tuesday, March 23, 2010

More Stuff













Good Alpine run today....got just about everything on the long list - it gets revised as I'm shopping. Made a run to Marfa to check out a feed store but they didn't have Benita's favorite blend. Just as well, as she headed out NW of the Field Lab yesterday afternoon which usually means she won't be back for awhile. Problem is we didn't get good rain recently so there is no grass growing out here - yet. Got more range feed and a bale of coastal just in case she comes back soon. She will be 22 on April 5th so I have to be ready for a party.














Recently, I connected on Facebook with a woman that was married for a couple of years to an old college roommate and best friend of mine - Parry Wilvers. Natalie Wilson Schorr http://www.ottoblotto.blogspot.com/ moved on and is still the brilliant artist I briefly met over 20 years ago....except she no longer smokes a pipe. I saw some "dolls" she has been making and asked her to make a couple of longhorns for me. She just finished them and they are on their way to the Field Lab as we speak. Parry and I are due to hook up next month when he comes to San Antonio on a business trip. The past is a freaky thing indeed... 73,95,38,0

11 comments:

tffnguy said...

Hope the old girl don't stay gone long. I believe the 95 degrees! Was pretty warm! Probably wouldn't have been bad in the shade, but I was out in the sun most of the day.

I saw my first lizard today so I figure the snakes will be out soon to (if they aren't already)

Anonymous said...

What do the Cains do with their cattle anyway?

Don Auderer said...

Love the cow dolls. They will be right at home with you. Very artistic. Did I see some roofing materials in back of the truck?
I leave for Big Bend a week from today. Maybe we'll meet up at the Starlight.

Anonymous said...

If your ever looking for a nice drive. When you leave Marfa take CR 2810 ( I believe ) south. It goes thru this great canyon, Pinto?, Past an old perlite mine, drive thru the creek, past Chinati Peak then past Chinati Hot Springs and end up in Ruidosa, TX.

MsBelinda said...

Those cow dolls are adorable!!

Hope Benita makes it back home for her birthday.

Caboose said...

The Longhorn dolls are adorable. Hope Benita is only gone for a short time and makes it home for her B-day. Hope you are doing good. Looks like the roofing for the TFL Greenhouse.

ottoblotto said...

Thanks for featuring my dolls! They were a good diversion for me. I may have to do some others.

D. B. Day IV said...

Looks like Mother Spring is doing you and the Field Lab some good. I'm feeling good vibes in the posts and things seem to be coming together. Make the best of it before killer heat arrives. Love watching you thrive out there.

Unknown said...

For Benita's birthday number 22 she should have the very best hay. Alfalfa. Preferably from Colorado.

Allen Hare said...

Fran & John, the Pinto Canyon Road, from Marfa to Ruidosa is amazing. We've made this drive several times, staying at Chinati Hot Springs. The road is rough, and remote, but worth the trip.

The longhorn sculptures from found objects are very nice. That Ottoblotto gal is very creative. Now I have another cool blog to add to my list. Greensboro, NC, eh? I lived there as a boy. Small world.

Unknown said...

Hopefully you will be in San Antonio in time for Fiesta!
cheers!