Thursday, February 13, 2014

Sigma Tau Gamma


Last year an old college friend named Ken Vaughn contacted me out of the blue.  He was a pledge in my fraternity back in my college daze.  I ended up dropping out of the frat about the same time I dropped out of college.  He went on to graduate and has been active in the fraternity all these years.  Our chapter (Delta Delta) of Sigma Tau Gamma at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro ended up closing down in 1987.  Seems the university is inviting fraternities back on campus this spring and our chapter hopes to be a presence there once again.  Sigma Tau Gamma was the first social fraternity chartered at UNC-G in 1979.  I was among a group of friends that were the founding members of that chapter.  Ken contacted me to tell me about the status at our old college and asked me if I would like to be reinstated in the fraternity since I was a founding member.  My first inclination was to say no - why bother.  But after thinking about all those friends I had...I figured - why not.  Just got the reinstatement letter today.  My extended family has just expanded exponentially.
This is a shot of my dorm room in 1979.  My roommate Alan Simons and I built a loft in our room that year.  Our beds were up above so most of the room was just a big study (party) area.  There weren't any rules about building in the dorms at the time but the university decided it was not a good idea and banned them a couple of years later.  64,75,33,0,B     

3 comments:

Dizzy-Dick said...

Congratulations on getting back into the fraternity. Now, don't party too hard. . . .

Steve said...

"Deficiencies?" Do tell...

Rita B. said...

What wordsmiths they are. Don't you just love those backhanded complements?