Friday, October 14, 2016

the fiberglass option...

A paramotor cart option has been tormenting me for over a year now.  There are plenty of options available and a few have tempted me but they are all way overpriced for what you get.  It isn't rocket science after all.  My silly go kart I bought years ago was $2600 including delivery and included an engine!  A lot of the options available for paramotors cost about as much and they are just a frame with some wheels.  I recently made the decision to DIY - we like DIY here at TFL.  I have ordered parts to build my own cart and so far it looks like it will come in at under $400.  Making is structurally sound and keeping the weight down is the trick.  The interesting thing about what is commercially available is that they all utilize 1" fiberglass rod for the axles which provide a lot of springy suspension for a heavy load coming in for a hot landing.  Much more spring than I am willing to trust to my mended leg bones. 87,93,64,0,B

6 comments:

Dale said...

Keep your CG in the sweet spot and you can fly a rocking chair, with wheels of course.

Larry G said...

well you'd want a strong frame - but one that can flex without breaking...on hot or awkward landings.. I would think... A super-strong but inflexible one maybe not but this is one of those areas where experience over time tends to evolve what works best....

Ronald Mahan said...

Do these paramotor cart kits come with lightweight shock absorbers? On larger wheeled machines - the shocks dampen out excessive bouncing when the springs do their thing.

John Wells said...

Like I said, it's the bendy fiberglass rod axles do a very good job with shock absorption. They don't go too crazy with the issue because good pilots land smoothly,and bad pilots either get better - or get tired of repairing their equipment and get out of the sport.

Larry G said...

so..... any estimate on when we might see you in the wild blue yonder? ;-)

or am I rushing it?

John Wells said...

I learned along time ago not to make any promises on my blog...it will happen when it happens.