Sunday, November 16, 2008

Mr.Heater

COLD morning! 29 degrees was the low overnight. Did in fact fire up the heater last night. This is the Mr.Heater Big Buddy propane heater...safe for use indoors. This sucker puts out 4,000, 9,000, or 18,000 btu's depending on the setting. Just the right size for my little house for a slow/comfy temp or a quick warm up. Last winter I used it mostly on the medium setting. My heating bill was less than 100 bucks. Usually only have it on for about an hour in the evening and sometimes for a bit in the morning. Once the sun comes up the outside temps tend to jump at least into the 70's by mid day. Cooked myself a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich with Texas toast on the grill outside once the sun started warming up the morning air.

Drove in to see my friend Julianne - in town for the weekend from her teaching job in Midland. Shot off some rounds with her .22 rifle, .38 pistol, and 12 gauge shotgun. My shoulder is a bit sore tonight. Still wasn't ready to jump in to the new interior wiring so I cleaned up all the trash that had blown around the last couple of days and worked on tweaking the solar oven. Still not up to temperature yet so I am going modify the overall interior size and the slope of the widow glass. Did get the reflector lid mounted with a 1' x 4' mirror. Was getting enough heat inside with the mirror attached to season a 6 qt. cast iron pot. Will probably "cook" the pot once more tomorrow before using in for a test meal. Probably heading the the Starlight Theatre tomorrow night for 2fer burgers so will try my first meal in the solar oven on Tuesday.

I think I'm ready to do the wiring job tomorrow.

No comments: