Monday, December 26, 2011

the day after...











Spent a couple of hours repairing some problems on the solar shower.  The problem was I didn't think it would get as cold as it did overnight on Christmas Eve.  Since I didn't drain the lines and the thermosyphon - I ended up with one popped hose and two breaks in the copper.  Didn't loose any water because I was able to shut off some valves before it all thawed out.  Fixed the hose and prepped for the copper repairs.  ...Thought I should include a detail photo of the cactus wreath.

Decided Benita's facebook page needed a Christmas update.  Waited for her to finish eating this morning then brushed her for a few minutes to put her in the zone.  Dropped the hat on and had all of 5 seconds to get one shot off.  She was cooperative just long enough and made it clear afterwards that she does not like hats.  43,60,16,0,B

9 comments:

Larry Prater said...

Beautiful Santa Benita. And thanks for the closeup of the nopal wreath, I wondered what that actually looked like. Great idea someone had.

tffnguy said...

I bet that wreath was a blast to make. All you do for that old gal and she just doesn't show any gratitude. ;)

remmij said...

... did the hat survive and where's the pic of it under hoof or horn?
Great shot of her rack. Benita rules.
Almost stretches border to border.
Water, in its solid form, can play havoc with things -
hard to shower with icicles.

Allison said...

It's just amazing how blue the skies are there. Just beautiful.

Roughin' it? said...

That's the best Christmas wreath I have ever seen.

ken t said...

time to move that shower indoors....

BBC said...

I made a sort of solar shower in Arizona the year I was there, only the shower itself was inside.

Bolted two 55 gallon barrels together end to end, took the tank out of a propane water heater and suspended it in them and stood the affair upright at the corner of the trailer.

Painted the barrels black, would build a fire in it in the morning for my shower and the sun kept the water plenty warm the rest of the day so Marie could shower when she got around to it.

The 500 gallon water tank was on a tower and the system was gravity and worked very well.

Nice pictures.

Allen Hare said...

That shower of yours takes a little more work than the average shower. I forgot how sub-zero temps affect it. Hope you get it back together soon.

Self portrait with wreath.

S said...

I like that wreath. Very appropriate for your location. Who needs a hat when you've got cool spiraling horns like Benita.