Friday, January 20, 2012

all day project...

Well...I didn't think it would take all day to finish the winch hookup, but it kinda did.  First thing - I needed some bits to bolt it all together which prompted another trip down south to Bee Mountain Hardware and an excuse for another Cafe breakfast.  Found a home under the hood for everything and snaked the wires around away from all the hot'n'moving parts of the engine.  Plugged in the remote and it winched!  The goal of course is to never have to pull myself out of a bind since I have yet to get stuck out here in 4 years.  Will save this new capability for the less prepared, which happens often out here...and I will only charge half what the local towing service does. 

Meanwhile, back in critterville - had a full day of longhorn, burro and rabbits.  Dennis spent half the day snacking on top of a bale of alfalfa.  Might just have to set up a bed of alfalfa sprouts for the rabbits once the greenhouse gets going - they will be allowed in the courtyard but I won't have to worry about them eating my food since all the growing beds will be out of their reach.  63,80,32,0,B

10 comments:

BBC said...

Always double back a winch line if you can, it's slower but easier on the cable and equipment.

Cute bunny.

Rita B. said...

watched Mr. Hopper having breakfast out front a weekend or 2 back. he's a cutie. you'll have him (almost) tame enough for the TFL tour pretty soon. you definitely have a way with the critters. Very nice winch. be sure to mount a truck/winch cam so we can watch THAT action.

John Wells said...

BBC...roger that - I ordered a pulley block for the rig yesterday...like you say, easier on the parts (and effectivly doubles the capacity)

Nat said...

I think hungry rabbits could surprise you with their jumping prowess.

pamit said...

That's some tasty looking alfalfa.

Pam in Colorado

dave said...

John, I have a great rabbit gumbo receipe. Have 17 does and 4 bucks that can keep me in meat. Your place looks great.panisms

MsBelinda said...

For a desert bunny he sure is plump but adorable nonetheless :)

Cactus BB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rev.JimmyLeeBob said...

Dennis gumbo ? I think when one names an animal it becomes a pet and is off the menu ..........

Allen Hare said...

I sure like the double back concept with the winch. It'll work great if you have enough line. Hope I don't have to experience it first hand!

Good looking hare. Hope they don't overrun the greenhouse when it's in production, though.