Friday, April 1, 2016

meter mania

As usual...when I come across something new that sparks my interest I get a little obsessive about it.  I have always been enamored with clock mechanisms and timers - especially the coin operated variety.  I guess that might be why I have always liked going to the laundromat.  What first sparked the idea of parking meters is when I saw that my friend Keith Chapman had put a bunch of poles in the ground out near his mini storage building on 118.  Eventually he is going to fence off the property there that goes all the way to the corner.  I thought it would be funny to get a parking meter off Ebay and pop one on top of one of his posts and put it up on his Facebook page.  Turns out there are a lot of parking meters for sale on Ebay as well as a huge assortment of replacement parts.  I ended up getting a second meter housing along with an assortment of timers.  













So I went to the corner yesterday to do my planned photo and it just so happened that Keith was there.  He got a kick out of the idea although I wasn't able to surprise him with it on social media.  He was getting ready for the weekly garage sale at Green Desert Living and wouldn't you know he had 7 galvanized pipes for sale that are a perfect fit for the parking meters.  I only need two but I bought the lot for what the two I needed would have cost me from McCoys.  It's gonna take awhile to make back my investment one quarter at a time from visitors...but after that it is all gravy.  57,71,55,0,B

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Did the meter come with key. Just in case a tall person or two or three puts money in. It could add up after awhile...

Margery Billd said...

Yes, I was going to ask you yesterday if your friends were on the meter. :-) But then I thought that would be too rude to ask. :-)

remmij said...

…have you run across any therapy meters?
they usually take more than pocket change… it's really an April Fools meter…

Margery Billd said...

Lol. Good one. TY. That's the first and only April fool's joke I heard today.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I am going to save all my pocket change to feed those meters.
If I accomplish this pilgrimage to the Field Lab.
It will be nice to finally meet you and all the interesting characters.
I will be singing, lovely Rita meter maid nothing can come between us...

Esdras

Dani said...

FYI http://www.metaspoon.com/kissing-bug-assassin-symptoms-beware/?fb=M1