Saturday, July 25, 2009

Beware of the Longhorn

Spent the day running errands and visiting friends down south. This is what I returned to this afternoon at the Field Lab. The absolute icing on the cake of my move here has been befriending an old longhorn. That is something I could never have imagined happening when I was planning the move 2 years ago to relocate from NY.

The pump on my Pepino finally pooped out yesterday. Got up to 88 degrees inside today and that it totally unacceptable. Only took about 20 minutes to wire up the new pump ( I had a spare on hand, of course). Putting off the total upgrade of my swamp cooler till next year - this one will take me into the fall, no problem...Look for the NEW/IMPROVED PEPINO in the spring of 2010! They might even be for sale by then...

12 comments:

denziel56 said...

great shot , joy and myself saying the same thing !

nice longhorn ya got there !

b

Anonymous said...

THAT IS SO COOL!!! should be cover shot on a cofee table book.

Billy Bob said...

See John, I told ya what was gonna happen if ya keep feed'n them "cows" dog food. By the time I get back to Terlingua, old Benita will be bark'n and chas'n rabbits.
The pic of Benita is the greatest of all your greats.

Bob from Athens said...

Now if you can just teach her how to tell friend from foe and how to guard.

Bob O said...

Yep, you've got a friend there!

Just to follow up on rj's comments about structural integrity, I'm just wondering about expansion and contraction with temp changes. Probably minimal. Watch your lateral bracing....

As usual, I find the amount of work you get done inspiring.

Jason21 said...

Next thing you know you're gonna be tellin us Benita's house broken. Be funny to see her get those horns through the front door.

Bob O said...

Oh, btw, I mentioned your efforts with the pepino to some mates from Alice Springs. They do swamp coolers for a living there, small and large scale installations. Let me know if you are interested and I'll hook you up.

TexasMan said...

"Puppy" Cow is great pic!

So Pepino gave up the ghost. New and improved model will most likely be even better as usual.

Allen Hare said...

Great shot of the casa and shower, also. I doubt if many of us could very easily downsize our living quarters to the size you're living in. Part of living green is living small, as in less space to accumulate STUFF inside, less cubic space to heat and cool, and so on. 'course, you have almost unlimited space outside, and in the containers to store stuff, but, you're not heating and cooling those places. Great space/resource management.
I guess everyone has noticed how Benita always manages to find, and occupy the shady spot. Good Girl!

Lexstok said...

You could add that picture with the words below it on your entry posts to your domain !

gerry rosser said...

Is your county one of the 77 Texas counties considered to be in severe drought?

Anonymous said...

Next you'll be needing a nice brush so you can groom her. Bet she'll love that!