Saturday, September 19, 2009

working vacation...

It had been ages since my last stay at the Antelope Lodge and I suddenly got the urge yesterday. Had a little rain in the morning and I was not in the mood to get swamped in so I hit the road north. Puttered around town all day then settled into my room with a large veggie lovers pizza from Pizza Hut, 2 quarts of Gatorade, cable TV, and an unlimited shower. I think I used one months worth of Field Lab style water for a single shower. Hunkered in to the queen sized bed, ate pizza, and watched TV till my eyes bled. Funny thing was, I didn't sleep that well in the big/strange/comfy bed and dreamt about welding all night. Ran into my friend Brenda that still works there right after I checked out this morning - she told me she reads the blog every day (Hi Brenda!) and asked how Benita was.

Had my civilization fix quickly then ran errands around town. Noticed that the rock star ride I saw months ago in Alpine is for sale now. Don't think it's quite right for a Field Lab road show so I think I will pass. Picked up more free windows from my friends Suzy and Alec. They are my (oldest) friends in Alpine because Suzy used to work at the Antelope Lodge when I first came to the area. I stopped by their antique store on the way out of town to make a purchase - it was the least I could do after getting 9 windows from them. Found this little knick-knack from India that ought to enhance my grill servings.

When I came back out my dirt road I noticed Dick Cain's truck and horse trailer on the road. Saw him and his son rounding up more longhorns - was worried that Benita might have gotten caught in the group since I only left her one small snack before I bugged out. As I drove up my driveway, there she was in the shade right in front of my house. She got a BIG snack and 5 gallons of water for waiting for me to return.

8 comments:

jandean said...

Where's my prize?
I'm just kidding. Glad you had a nice getaway, and a tolerable dose of Alpine-style civilization. Was Benita mad? Probably not since you brought her more treats, huh?

Billy Bob said...

Yo John, I'll be at "da ranch" as soon as I go to the beach, go to Houston to visit daughter and grandkids and maybe a few days in San Antonio. Should be in Terlingua close to the middle of Oct. for a week or so.

Ya think Benita can get along with two pesky dogs??? Lug Nut is always ask'n bout Benita.

Allen Hare said...

Glad you got a chance to kick back and luxuriate for a while. You certainly deserve it after all your recent hard work.
Coming home feels good, though, don't it?

MsBelinda said...

Glad you got yourself a mini vacation and savored in some everyday luxuries we take for granted those of us that live in the big city.

Awfully glad they did not round up Benita but even if they had I think she would come back HOME to you because you all have defininitively bonded.

daisy52 said...

It was good to see you John! Saw the porch light photo...it's a keeper. Tell the next time...

daisy52 said...

And I'll learn how to spell (and possibly how to use that preview button!)Ciao!

TexasMan said...

Everyone needs a get away occasionally. Bet Benita was wondering what it was she did right to get such a reward so she could do it again!

robdham said...

That huge vehicle was used on the TV show "The Highwayman". It was built by Jon Ward Motor Sports of Alpine.