Monday, September 12, 2011

the WAY outback...


























Did some errands down in Study Butte this morning and ran into my friends Dan and Jess.  They were about to head back to their place http://theshady80.blogspot.com/ and I decided to follow them out since I hadn't visited there homestead yet.  These two have done a very nice job with all salvaged materials.  Not easy visiting much less trucking stuff out when you have to drive 20 miles off the highway.  Made it back to "civilization" with just enough time to work on the Ural for awhile and get it started after a long rest.  Good news is it fits through the big doors.  Taking it over to my buddy Chuck's soon to do some service on it.  Checked the pond tonight and it's down to about 3' deep.  Lots of longhorn, burro, and coyote tracks down by the water.  Some nice looking chances of rain coming up at the end of the week - might be the last hurrah for this year. 90,101,62,0,B

8 comments:

The Flying Tortoise said...

What a simply stunning place Jan and Jess live in...

Steve said...

They sell Game Cams at Walmart for $30.00. Might look at setting one up close to the water and get the critters on film!

Mary Lee said...

Thanks for posting about your visit with Dan and Jess at the Shady 80. I have been reading their blog for over a year and did not realize that they were that far off the highway. They have accomplished so much with so little. What a talented couple!

ylojelo said...

I was also going to post about a game cam, digital though, like a bushnell

Allen Hare said...

Good to see the Ural back in action. It feels good to ride.

Interesting pond photo and information. Good that the local fauna is benefiting from your hard work, too.

That Shady 80 is a nice looking place, and what a handsome young couple. 20 miles off the highway! Wow! I get the impression that they don't drive into town every day. I Bookmarked their site, and will be following their progress. Thanks for the link...

Anonymous said...

admire + a lot to learn from Jess and Dan...a lot of courage needed . i'm 63 looking do someway similar when retired...no one speaks about what yu eat and where to get monies from to do so, fact is HUNTING not ever mentioned since I follow all this Blogs . In France horse meat is eaten beeing a delikatessen, why not eat it here and donkey meat so abundand in that desert ? I ve seen some wild goats arround there also .I do not think those are "regulated" by "game officers", too much "red tape" . Again : If the Wild West were to have been "red tapped" when conquered in settler's times, it would not exist .

2 Dogs said...

I thought the clay solved your leak problem with Spirit Lake. Or is it just being drank and evaporated?

Whoo a Ural! What is the cruise speed on those? I know they are great with the two wheel drive in the dirt but I wonder on the hiway with just a 700cc engine.

Mike Vires said...

Hi John, I have been enjoying your website and blogs. My friend Kathy and I are a couple of artists over 60 and planning to relocate to the Terlingua Ranch. Naturally, we will be living off the grid as both of us survive on a limited income. But if I have to live in my van I am determined to live on the desert. We were just there a few weeks ago after researching on the internet and as expected fell in love with the area. We hope we get to meet you sometime and ask you a thousand questions. Keep up the good work. Thanks, Mike