Friday, March 6, 2009

The Early Edition

Hot, dusty day today....low of 45, high of 99+. Went to breakfast at the Grub Shack....dropped off a chunk of the new weird Field Lab bread for Betty to test - she approved. Got my McCoy's delivery by 11AM. My favorite drivers were out for this drop - Mickey and Martin. Got the gate for Nancy and 42 bags of concrete. That's 3360 lbs.

Took about 4 hours to dig out, level, and fit the forms for container one. I used some gravel from about one mile down my road to set the beds for the concrete. Felt kind of good to get all dirty and sweaty for a change. Managed to stay out of the direct sun for most of the labor. Shuttled 6 bags of concrete mix over to my friend David's "soon to be house" east of me. Last bump of the day, I got 20 bags of concrete placed by the pour for tomorrow. My solar hot water was a bit over the top tonight so I added 8 gallons of cold water. Rinsed off the day with the perfect temperature. Nothing better than naturally air drying after a shower in the desert.

Signing in and off early tonight because I'm heading over to Chuck's soon to watch myself on Texas Country Reporter...I love that show and it should be interesting to see how they put it all together. Yeah.....I'm a press whore.
UPDATE...hmmmm as usual - press did not air as promised - at least not on the satellite channels - reckon it ran only on cable or standard broadcast. Why is it so easy to get press but so difficult to find out when it will be available to the masses? stay tuned...

7 comments:

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

We were all excited when it came on here, and then the tease didn't indicate anything close to you. But hey, we'll keep watchin'
Osagebluffquilter

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your blog,check in most nights to see what happen today.I looked back at some of your older posts. I don't understand the building you live-sleep-eat in. I know it is the one with the siding. In the pictures, the siding looks like it does not go all the way up to the roof.When you have more time please tell us about your home.Pictures inside and out would be nice. North Carolina MOM

neil said...

Check out John's Filckr page for construction and interior shots of his house...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/texasdesertlife/sets

Anonymous said...

loved your TCR piece! we had the honor of being featured by bob a year ago . . .
we are going to keep track of you . . . love what you are doing!
here's our TCR piece in case you get bored one day - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WMWEivIkV8
XoXoo from gypsyville
the junk gypsy gang
amie, jolie, janie

harleyman888 said...

Watched you piece on TCR and really enjoyed it. I've started reading your blogs now and am living vicariously through you. I think it's awesome what you are doing and would love to do that myself. Keep bloggin'!!!
Pat in Victoria

Anonymous said...

Hey--Saw you this morning on TV in Dallas. I bookmarked your blog! Inspiring reading!

Anonymous said...

Hi John,
Say hello to the beautiful Terlingua area for us. Amazing to see your timely piece on TCR this morning out of Austin. I've been working on a similar blog for the last few days to chronicle our own building adventures and to get out some of my portfolio as architect and builder.
We are cleaning up acreage near Lockhart, Texas and have started building a mortagage- free and sustainable house out of mostly recycled material. The rest of the place will be populated with various building and art projects; just finished building a keen earth oven for $0. Maybe we can stay connected to compare notes. Good luck with all you have planned and congrats on the Country Reporter piece.
-GRO