Sunday, March 8, 2009

Rum and Coke, Mon...

24 hours, 6 holes, 6 posts set in concrete, 2 beams, 3 rafters. My friend David is kicking ass on his new water catchment/shade structure. Got so cranked by his swift progress that I was motivated to get back to work all day today on my own project.

While talking to Chuck on the phone early this morning - I had to cut him off as there seemed to be some MOOing outside - 26 longhorns looking for a snack right in my front yard. Obliged them then lured them away with more goodies. Gotta get some video soon of 20+ longhorns following my truck down the driveway.
Jacked up/squared and leveled container #2. Pulled the forms from container one and all was well. Container one is the highest so had to make some additions to the forms for tomorrows pour. Ready to go at first light. The final two containers will need some support of almost 16" at their back ends since they sit at the lowest point of the complex.

When I drove in late this afternoon to check on David's progress I passed 7 Javalinas. I don't seen them out here very often. I gotta turn one of these into a pet someday - goofy looking/dumb/almost blind freaks of nature that they are.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

just saw you on texas country reporter...very interesting. i will be a regular visitor to your blog now! :)

chromedoll said...

how much is the cost of setting up solar units such as those?

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmm NO temps for today???? Have a big smile to all

Anonymous said...

Felt so inspired from your Country Reporter story so will now follow your blog and web site. But you DON'T want to make a pet of a javelina! Mean, nasty, strong creatures they are.

lastsix said...

Are you planning on painting your containers to blend into the environment?

giniv said...

You are more than welcome to come and capture some of the 30 or so that seem to think this is their deli and bird food is meant for them. They range in size from tiny to big then to extra big. I'll be glad to call you and tell you when they are here and you can come and capture as many as you like. My dogs will love you forever if you do, as they think these are the nastiest creatures around, they even like skunks better than Javelinas.

GiniV

Anonymous said...

Please tell David and that blonde apprentice of his I'll soon be there for one of them rum & cokes.

c u soon.

sv

Anonymous said...

Saw you on TCR. Checked out the blog and The Field Lab. I am on the fringe of the DFW metro area, grinding it out daily. I admire your set up and the way you are going about it all. I don't know how you cope with the isolation and extreme solitude. You have some ingenius concepts and intriguing philosophical ideology (poop). I'll be a fan of your blog.

Matt said...

Saw you on a recorded version of TCR last night. Thought about your story again driving through the Houston Galleria war zone to work this morning. Consider me an instant fan of your blog.

Keep living the dream man!!

Anonymous said...

Matt : I grew up there and know where you are coming from!

hbt said...

we call that animal jabalĂ­, and is a wild pig.

Nice blog i take a look now!