Thursday, December 24, 2009

eve...

Got an early start and welded a bit more before heading to meet the mailman and lounge at the GrubShack. Managed to get out of there after only an hour an a half this time. Got home and finished up the last support on container 4 in no time. With the new lull in the work schedule, I just puttered around and put things in order. Suddenly, I got a real Jonesing for a longhorn fix. I really miss seeing them and they wont be back around here till late February. Must be something about their ominous presence and gentle nature that appeals to me. Loaded up my extra range feed and headed north toward Agua Fria Rd. Headed west about 4 miles and timed the trip perfectly. Passed Dick Cain on the road and passed off two bags of feed to him. He told me Benita is looking healthy and there was another group just down the road at a tank if I wanted to go photograph them. Of course I headed strait to the spot. Nice group of about 20 longhorns...no Benita but I saw Angelina and Carmella - I know they remembered me too by they way they charged up as I flung feed from the bed of my pickup. The pictured longhorn is a familiar one with no name....so I just named her Jan after my buddy JD. Came home with just enough sun and energy left to pre-cut all the rest of the diagonal braces for the trusses. 42,61,34,0

10 comments:

Caboose said...

Was that your Christmas present to you seeing the longhorns. Wishing you a Merry Christmas and hope you are happy off the grid. I have really enjoyed your web site over all others. I can't wait to see your blog for the day.

Boo Barksdale said...

HO! HO! HO!
Merry Christmas!
John, your once clean slate in the desert is awash with your creativity.
It looks like your only limitation is your ability to imagine... Keep up the great work!

Frito

2L84Me said...

Merry Christmas John!
I really enjoy reading your blog.
Living off the grid and se;f sufficiency has been a dream of mine for a long time. Now, I am at least enjoying your journey into true freedom. I wish you the best. Keep up the good work.

ps: My best wishes for Benita }:)

k1mgy said...

.."He told me Benita is looking healthy"

Thank you for a wonderful holiday gift of this news.

Rather fond, at long distance.

And all the best to you in your sweet paradise.

Bret McCormick - Epic Diabetic said...

Merry Christmas from the other side of Texas John...

MsBelinda said...

Glad to hear Benita is looking healthy, too bad you did not get to see her but February is just around the corner.

Have a Merry Christmas.

jandean said...

I am honored to be part of the longhorn gang. Thanks. And
Moory Christmas!

Bob O said...

Long time since my last post, but I read still read your blog every few days.

I'm always impressed with your energy and industry. And your ability to translate to people via the internet.

Inspirational? Yes.

Merry Christmas, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with during the new year.

tffnguy said...

John, I still think that was Benita south of you 1.1 miles north of Tivo's on 118. Sure looked like her (including the rack), it/she looked plenty healthy and it/she was laying in the same fashion I've seen her on many pictures I've seen on here. It/She was by the white container or what ever it is with the coral around it, but outside the coral. Looked like it/she was enjoying checking out the cars passing by on the highway. It/she was the only longhorn I saw anywhere along there. Maybe the white container reminded her of home?

Allen Hare said...

Sounds like a great day for you. The greenhouse looks great in the new photo.

Really glad to hear you got to see them cows. You showed up just in time to play Santa for them, and deliver the goodies!

Happy Christmas from Ok Hwa and Allen up here in Dallas. It snowed almost all day here, to give us our first White Christmas in memory! Hope you got some, too.