Friday, December 10, 2010

visit from the gecko...

Had a little (no physical injury) fender-bender a couple of days ago with my favorite neighbor.  Seems parts of our dirt road aren't quite wide enough in certain spots for 2 vehicles going in opposite directions.  Unfortunately my insurance company deems this a no fault accident and local law enforcement has no jurisdiction on ranch roads.  At least my vehicle is fully insured and I'm licensed and legally registered in the state of Texas. My new best friend Mike Diaz drove all the way out here from Midland to assess the damage for Geico....$2,675.33.  The Toyota is going to the hospital next week in Alpine for repairs.  Think it might be time to add a mega-bumper and grill guard to ward off the next offending on comer.  Benita was still on hand today, and kept mootering "It wasn't my fault!"

Ran a string line up top on the greenhouse roof this afternoon and set the high course of steel flats for the polycarbonate.  I'm pretty sure the window is squared and ready to go now.  Although it has been dry for months - I really need to get this section secured as soon as possible.  Once the roof is finished, the next step will be to weld some brackets into place so I have something to attach the gutters to.  I have two 3,000 gallon tanks to put into place before the next rain - if it ever happens.  60,76,28,0,B

8 comments:

GYPSY JESS said...

that sucks. glad it didn't involve staples.... :)

Anonymous said...

There are people who drive down the middle of the road and take blind curves that way on the ranch roads. My neighbor almost hit some Border Patrol who were going full speed taking up the whole road on their ATV's....on a curve with very limited vision! Best this time of year to watch for dust heading your way.

MsBelinda said...

Glad to hear you are ok.

Anonymous said...

I think I know who your "favorite nieghbor" is. At least no one got hurt. The military tought me to "Pay attention to detail" and that includes things like loading weapons and driving down dirt roads. Those roads are heck of a lot different than city streets with rules and regulations. Your nieghbor failed to pay attention to detail. (crash test dummie)

rj said...

Hopefully he didn't have a smiling dog with him.

Regarding the rainwater collection, I hope you have plans for more storage. That 6000 gallons will fill up in a couple of days of good r

JLP said...

If this is the high side it's going to leak in time!

Dizzy-Dick said...

A friend of mine made a front bumber and gurad out of 4 inch pipe and added a quick release valve. He carried a hundred pounds of air in it and had protection and sufficient air to use an impact wrench and fill a tire or two if needed.

Allen Hare said...

Great shot of the roof. Even the most mundane things look beautiful against that background of desert and mountains. Best of luck with the panel installation.