Thursday, April 21, 2011

look out for the bull

Seems that Oscar the bull is in love with Beatrice for the next couple of days.  Benita doesn't seem to care that her ex is after her daughter now.  The 3 came in together for breakfast this morning.  Had to chase the bull off so Benita could get a bite.  About half way down my driveway, Oscar decided I wasn't such a threat after all and began to assert his (immense) authority.  Once he started his dirt kicking display and "growling", I retreated quickly to the house.  I always keep a healthy distance from him.  He came charging back to the house but was quickly overcome with thoughts of love - not war, probably because I was out of sight and Beatrice is in heat.  As much as I like these longhorns, I reckon I will ultimately have to fence them out of the immediate surroundings.  I waited for Oscar to lie down before I made a dash to the truck and escaped south for some supplies....30% chance of an isolated thunderstorm this afternoon (it didn't happen).  Stocked up and mailed off a set of postcards to a new friend from Oak Park, IL - where I was born.  Got 10 gallons of gas in Study Butte ($4.11/gal - ouch!) and headed home.  Just has hot as yesterday but felt hotter for some reason.  Cut up enough chicken wire to surround the final two tree pens. 89,102,70,0,B

16 comments:

ratgirls said...

If you have to put up a fence, can you at least give Benita the gate code?

John Wells said...

Benita gets a free pass one way or another.

Bob from Athens said...

Only way you gonna get rid of Oscar is to run Beatrice off. He is gonna go wherever she goes, no matter who or what he has to fight to do it. I've seen bulls actually charge a pickup that got between him and his intended. Ain't a pretty sight when you got a mad bull standing in the middle of your hood.

Wm. Pugh said...

I had 21 head of cattle once and bull never liked me.
Dam thing charged at me every chance he got. Told a old timer about him and she said to wack him over the nose and he will not bother you again.
Lets just say it worked!!!!

John Wells said...

Bob...Can't run Beatrice off - she is family. Oscar will loose interest in a couple of days. Wm...I will keep that in mind if I ever get that close!

JB SMITH said...

There is a video on youtube of a bullfighter being gouged under his chin and the horn coming out his mouth. Just food for thought.

The Flying Tortoise said...

Your Bionic Brother from Downunder hopes you don't get taken out by a bad 'nd mad bull...

Ben in Texas said...

TO echo wWm. Pugh comment. We had cattle and Mother would of course go help in "working" them. I made her a long stout wooden Sheppard's hook looking thing, One poke in the face with it and the big ole bull would back down in a heart beat. Noise won't do it. 'NEVER let yourself get cornered without a quick escape route. He can and will kill you.

janebee said...

All in all, it still feels better to have to fence them OUT than to fence them IN.

lou said...

Electricity

tffnguy said...

Sounds like its time for some beef to me. I'll take a few T-Bones and some jerky please. ;)

Cindy Talbot said...

@tffnguy, I like your idea, but it might be a tough steak, the jerky sounds good... course then there wouldn't be more family members added to the clan... at least by him...

David said...

BTW, John, have you seen Benito lately? Thought you were fitting him for a saddle...

Caroline said...

Here's a "This American Life" episode about a man and his favorite bull, Chance. Thought you might be interested...but maybe not?

http://www.hulu.com/watch/209132/best-of-the-rest-cloning-a-best-friend-this-american-life?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+HuluRecentlyAddedVideos+%28Hulu+-+Recently+added+videos%29#http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hulu.com%2Ffeed%2Frecent%2Fvideos%3Frd%3D0

JLP said...

Keep in mind John, that bull is not a pure Long Horn. He has a lot of Brahma in him. They are mean, mean, mean. That is the kind used in rodeos. A Long Horn bull is usually fairly dossil. Of course when they have love on their mind none of them are gentle.

Also, don't wear your red shirt when he is visiting!!!

Allen Hare said...

That IS a scary looking bull. I wouldn't want to get between hem and his "love" interest, or get him mad at me!

Good news about the rain. So, is this the first measurable rain there in over six months? Is the Field Lab drought over? Hope so...