Sunday, June 19, 2011

If you are thinking of moving to Terlingua...

For those who think a move here might be right for them - today it got up to 116 in the shade and it hasn't rained in almost 9 months.  A brilliant quote from my friend Ian Midgley - there are no posers in Terlingua - only survivors.












Decided on a perfect work combo for a HOT Sunday.  First thing - I detached the shredded roll out awning feature on the trailer.   Fired up the AC on the Airstream next to test it out and extracted the offensive cabinetry installed 2 owners ago.  Sure it was functional - but oh so wrong for this creature.  Spent 3 hours in air conditioned comfort (thanks to generator power) taking apart the mess and chucking it out the door.  Already have a taker for the counter tops and cabinets.  106,116,76,0,C

10 comments:

Ben in Texas said...

I Know!!! A Gypsy Wagon!! With a pair of Belgians to pull it!!!

Allen Hare said...

Looks like you've got another clean slate to work with. Can't wait to see what you come up with. Glad you got to spend some "Quality (a/c) Time" in the new Airstream.

I'v never been to Terlingua in the summer. I need to try it once to see what I'm missing. Actually, my plan is to get out of Texas entirely during the summers. That's why WE want an Airstream!

Beth Elmore said...

The quote from Ian...I need that made up into a t-shirt. That may just be the motivation that I need to make it through this summer!

Debbie said...

The purchase of the Airstream was worth the price just to get you Air Conditioning in that kind of heat. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Saun said...

Ditto what Debbie said.. stay cool

Anonymous said...

116 degrees

I love it!

Anybody think Im nuts, I grew up in El Paso were I saw it top 114 degrees and now I live in South Texas with the humidity and the Heat Index was 108 degrees a day or two ago.

I can survive Terlingua, it just takes some common sense to survive the desert. The hard part to surviving Terlingua is the high gas and food prices and the isolation from medical care im getting from the Veterans Administration, thats the hard part.

rj said...

Now you need enough solar for the Airstream's AC. I would convert the compressor to a Mitsubishi variable speed inverter based compressor they use on their mini-splits.

Somebody that makes a standalone 12,000 btu freon based solar AC will get rich fast. I notice Lennox (Dallas based)is offering grid tied solar as an option to their conventional units.

Anonymous said...

here in America the social cleaning (poor to outer third class schools) exists for ever....its called capitalism, laws of the market, yu go to schools were yu live....black hispanics take the tool...
better be in TERLINGUA or Alpine
will do

Anonymous said...

Good to see you got , the Air Stream down safe and sound . Ive been meaning to check on it , but been busy. See ya round Monday for sure for 2 4 1

Road said...

An oft heard saying in Maine--about those "from away"--is: "If ya can't take the wintahs, ya don't deserve the summahs!"