Saturday, June 25, 2011

saturday splice...


So the gist is...a cow chewed cables from 9 solar panels and the above ground portion of my phone line behind the house last night.  She also did a number on an unplugged extension cord nearby.  Did a quick patch on the phone line but the modem was dead - borrowed one from a neighbor until I get a replacement.  Cut and patched the damaged solar panel cables and barricaded the area until I can get them better protected.


Chuck hooked me up with some new phone cable and I replaced the entire run.  Snaked it through underground piping that goes from the box to the house but a portion is still cow-vulnerable until I run it directly into the house off the NW corner.  105,113,68,0,B

16 comments:

jandean said...

The excord is pretty. Saving that?

John Wells said...

saved for the Tragedy Annex...

El Viejo said...

I've been worried about something along those lines. They will bump each other into your solar panels pick-up, shower etc.
I have been around cows all my life....seen it happpen

Good luck with all that......

zip77077 said...

I'm surprised your truck doesn't have every panel smooshed in. Cows where I grew up would lean on anything.

tffnguy said...

Got any steaks John?

Doug said...

I feel your pain..I have some goats that are a real pain in the ass at times...I see a BBQ in the horizon...rib-eyes anyone?

Doug said...

I have been wondering why you dont have any chickens out there at your pad/lab...????

Larry G said...

clearly time for some electric fence.

Paul said...

Wow, and I thought our squirrel's were bad with chewing on things.

Unknown said...

Yes, I agree with Larry G. Electric fence and a cattle guard.

The Curious Incidents of a Doll in this Lifetime said...

Hi, John Wells. I did not know about you and the articles or anything...but I do now! I am off to India in five days...but, what say, I come and see you? I believe I need to kick your ass in Scrabble again.

Unknown said...

Some of the first an best beef jerky came from that aeria .Sun dried mesquite smoked an would you believe made from free rangeing LONGHORN Cattle.Now thats some real JERKY

Magdalene said...

Perhaps some strategically positioned cacti? Or send them to Benita for some schoolin' on manners at the Field Lab...

John Wells said...

...some fencing and buried cables should do the trick.

Pat OBryan said...

Are you sure you want to reject the BBQ option? I'll bring the beer.

Unknown said...

A little brimstone around those fence post would be great also.