Saturday, October 15, 2011

critical mass...

Early morning chores then went over to Chucks to visit with Holly,Tod and Aunt Cathy - oh, and Chuck and Chris too.  Ended up hanging out till lunchtime...funny how that happened.


Didn't get home till 2PM and it felt a little to warm to weld.  The cooler weather is making me soft.  In the high summer I was welding when it was 107 degrees.  Decided on an indoor project - I had run out of horizontal space in the hut and it was time to do something about it.

My first round of essential creosote oil has run its' course and was time to bottle it.  Started the next phase by adding 10 drops of the oil to 5 tsp of Everclear.  That has to sit for 48 hours, then I add 1 cup of distilled water to make a desert rain  aerosol.  Also started a tincture by crushing creosote leaves into a jar - topped off with Everclear.  This has to rest for 48 hours as well.  Jewelry - Fragrance - hmmmm....perhaps a spring fashion line next.  78,90,50,0,C

14 comments:

ratgirls said...

JW - looking forward to the creosote aerosol and oil too! I don't know what the desert smells like after a rain so this will be nice. I grew up in the Texas hill country and it always smelled like fresh brewed tea to me. I think it was the combination of the cedar and mesquite.
I really miss it.

John Wells said...

ratgirls...email you address to me so I can send a sample when it's ready.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mikeysklar said...

Glad to see you tincturing and making herbal oils. Don't rush things. There are two schools of thought on how long to leave the herbals in for extraction. Some folks say 48 hours other say 30 days. Personally I'm in the 30 days camp. It is a more complete extraction - higher potency.

K1MGY said...

Eau de Benita?
Could be a big hit :)

S said...

Here's an article you might enjoy:
http://www.thestarphoenix.com/business/story.html?id=5462520

Study claims organic farming more productive across the board than conventional (industrial) farming. More productive in every way but one....centralized control of the food supply.

Indyanny said...

Such a fun post. Hut looks fab.

Bob from Athens said...

Ok. S, if organic is so much more efficient, etc,etc, then why do we have to pay two or three times more for it in the store. Studies can be manipulated just like anything else by just using the data that you agree with.

Sory John for using your blog this way.

Allen Hare said...

Looks interesting. Looking forward to the product review when it's done.

2 Dogs said...

With the mix of raw OSB and primary colors you have achieved a rustic and junior gaudy atmosphere in your abode.
Not an easy thing to do in the art of interior decorating.

PyramidBlaster said...

Holy crap, bottling 'Essence of Creosote'?.... Where do I sign up? I swear one day I'm planting a Creosote bush in my garden.....Just smells like 'home' to me.

mikeysklar said...

I sell wild crafted Creosote in a few forms. Primarily salve and tincture.

http://store.holyscraphotsprings.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=bd4ef1085f386c88fc2700cff913fc67&keyword=Creosote

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
VistaGrande said...

I'll take a case! I made a creosote soap a few years ago with minor success. But, due to my geographic location, it's impossible to make. I was going to make this by the bucket fulls, but it didn't work out for me. I'd love to help promote this!

David
aka Casa Grande
www.BigBendChat.com