Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Day 1 Surprise

Fed the boys, fed the girls, fed Carl.  Some geocachers came out to hunt down my spot.   Once they zeroed in on it, I took them to see the biggest Terlingua Creek Cat's Eye plants I had.  Lo and behold there were some blooms.  If it hadn't been for my guests, I would have never seen the flowers.  Found blooms on 9 other plants in the area of mother plant1 and mother plant2 as they were named by Maria the plant lady.  Cryptantha crassipes normally blooms in mid March so this must be an early bloom for 2013 for some of the plants that got confused by the wet October and warm November of 2012.
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=28a7d8e7-0b5c-47bb-8864-1019ee9adaa0
44,60,36,0,C,0 

6 comments:

Rita B. said...

The desert keeps it's own schedule. Look at those Cat's Eye's!

Unknown said...

I live in El Paso,but I am thinking that since I have land in Hudspeth county, I might try living off the gird myself. Love the blog. Please keep it up.

Jim said...

The weather guy here says you are going to get from 3-6 inches of snow out there by Friday.

Jim said...

Found a few Cat's Eyes at Kyle's plot, but no flowers, though. Fun as always visiting the Field Lab.

Allen Hare said...

Love the Cat's Eye photos. They are so beautiful.

Geocaching looks like fun!

Unknown said...

Hi! My family and our friends bought some land in Hudspeth County near Dell City. We will be living off the grid and attempting to green the desert with the principles of permaculture. We would love to be able to meet up and exchange ideas, or just meet to say "Hi!" My husband and our friend will be getting into Hudspeth County tomorrow morning to set up camp before construction on the homes. We would love to get in contact. You can call us at 608-628-4802, or send an email to rattlesnakesprings@gmail.com. Thanks!