Wednesday, June 21, 2017

tweaking my sensitivity...

Thanks to plenty of YouTube videos, I have tweaked the control sensitivity of the controller joysticks and camera gimbal movements for smoother operation of the Mavic Pro and its' camera.  The only issue I have now is that my little Samsung tablet doesn't really have enough processor speed to handle the load of data sent from the aircraft.  The screen is really hard to see in direct sunlight (there are sun shades available but they only help a little) and video sent back from the aircraft keeps breaking up and the app crashes if I try to go into the intelligent flight modes.  DJI is about to release a new super bright dedicated tablet specifically for their drones but it is a bit on the pricey side - although it has two (not just one) microSD card slots and an HDMI output port.  An Apple iPad mini 4 seems to work very well but does not have a microSD card slot for extra memory.  On the android end, the best option was the nvidia shield tablet K1 made for gamers as it had plenty of processing power to handle the load.  The problem is - that model has been discontinued and it seems they have nothing new in the pipeline for the foreseeable future.  I still have a ways to go mastering simple maneuvers before I start trying to get fancy so I will live with what I have until I make a decision on an upgrade.  And don't bother with suggestions in the comments - I am well aware of all the options available although I only listed a few above.  Keep in mind that I have done an extraordinary amount of research on this.  It's not that I don't appreciate a helping hand from time to time, but it get's frustrating because most often the suggestions I get have little to do with my real world applications.   That being said - if you personally own and fly a DJI Mavic Pro and have found a tablet that works perfectly, feel free to chime in.  If you do not own a drone but have done a google search for "best tablet for Mavic Pro" - please don't bother sharing.  Been there, done that.  97,99,72,0,B

12 comments:

bigfoot said...

I have a 1988 TRS80 monochrome monitor you could probably hack to work for what you need.

Ill bring it next time we head west.

No thanks needed, just glad to help.

mike said...

all that writing

John Wells said...

bigfoot...FINALLY! A worthwhile suggestion!

Mark Ducroz said...

I have been flying the Mavic Pro several months.
I use the Apple Ipad Model # ME279LL/A. I use it on my Mavic and Phantom 4.
Never have a problem

Anonymous said...

Try Googling "irritable guy West Texas".(lol)

Margery Billd said...

Isn't it wonderful to increase the mind and broaden the horizons! (What the heck are you talking about?) :-) People do a double take when they see me on the internet in public or driving a big truck (a white haired person). I just do about as much as I need to but your posts are so interesting. (I had laser at the dentist the other day. This is new to Texas for mild procedures and seems excellent.)

John Wells said...

Mark Ducroz...How much internal memory does your model have? Does your iPad record video from every flight or do you have video cache disabled?

John Wells said...

Zimm...I am not irritable - it's just that sometimes I prefer to forewarn my audience to only offer suggestions if they really know what they are talking about. After almost 9 years of daily blogging and 3,210 posts, I have gotten my fair share of worthless suggestions.

pamit said...

eyes...glazing...over

John Wells said...

pamit - perhaps you should look elsewhere...

Mark Ducroz said...

I am using a 16 GB card in drone. I download after each shoot to the computer for editing I then reformat the card after each shooting. I find that the clarity and any card issues are taken care of after formatting. I will probably increase my card size before long. Shooting in 4K takes a lot of memory. I will still download to computer for editing and then reformat for the next shot.

Mark Ducroz said...

I disable the cache since I download after ever shooting