Wednesday, May 25, 2011

toll road...

Popped the first test pavers out of the forms this morning...a little on the rough side.  Have to keep them covered with plastic for about a week to let them cure.  Got a break in having to make a decision on how to proceed with the greenhouse floor.  I'm now officially permitted to proceed with welding work thanks to our County Commissioner.  Will have to track down a spotter to watch for fire while working (as per the permit) - I don't think the webcam or Benita qualify for this role.


The bumpy roads out here have taken their toll on my truck suspension.  The front struts lost their stuff today which prompted an emergency run to Alpine for repair.  I have a feeling the rear end is about to go but will save that for a near future regularly scheduled trip.  92,102,54,0,B

6 comments:

Wm. Pugh said...

Not going to say to much about permit but though of maybe some mesh type screen in dem pavers.

Ziv said...

@ Wm. Pugh - I was thinkin' the same thing. Maybe some hardware cloth about an 2" smaller than the frame.

Anonymous said...

I would volunteer as a spotter, however I am down in South Texas and that would be one hell of a commute.
John, Maybe you could get the "Terlingua or Bust" guy. I think he will work for beer (there's no regulation that says your spotter has to be sober)

Lance said...

When I was a kid my dad made a bunch of pavers using just a frame that would open using hinges. He put them on a piece of plastic that was just laid on the ground and filled the forms. When set the forms were hinged open and when the pavers were flipped the plastic side was smooth and shiny. We made a bunch and made a patio from them, some were large and we put no reinforcement in them. 40 years later they are still in use with no cracks.

Liberty N. Justice said...

J: I work with some plant scientists who specialize in "All Things Greenhouse." They have worked to develop new enviro-friendly greehouse designs, conserve H2O,maximize plant production, and such. They know plants. If you can provide a brief summary of what your goals are with your greenhouse I'll see if I can get them to send you some suggestions on both tips & tricks w/ greenhouse growing, and various plants that you could be very successful growing. (I learned a while ago not to ask a scientist anything unless you have a pretty good idea of what you're talking about. They're so stuck on "facts.") But I am sure they could be a great resource to you.
This is an ambitious project you have planned.

Scott said...

For the quantity you need would it just make more sense to frame out a floor and call a concrete truck ? Then you could get wire into it, fewer seams, more consistent mix, less shifting/cracking, etc. I support the DIY concept but this might be a time to consider the cost and labor savings of having a truck show up.