Wednesday, June 1, 2011

rain not...

Well....the storms looked pretty positive on the doppler radar last night - but much to my dismay, The Field Lab Vortex held firm.  Just as I started to get some sprinkles, the thunderstorms pouring out of the north died out.  Had gusts up to 45mph after the fact which made it a bit difficult to nod off.  Checked the rain gauge this morning...only .02" and seven dead bugs.  I don't think that really counts as rain.  Unfortunately, the accompanying lightning started a new batch of wildfires in the Ft. Davis area.













The windy conditions last night nudged my tanks again so I trucked in 125 gallons of water to weigh them down.  62.5 gallons = 521.25 lbs in each tank...that should certainly help.  Brand new calf was on hand while I was doing the water transfer.
I'm about half way through reading The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan.  I have to say this is a "must read" for anyone who eats store bought food without thinking about it.  For me...it is becoming a very powerful inspiration to get my greenhouse up and running.  97,105,75,0,B

9 comments:

rj said...

The Hill Country feels your pain with no rain. One of my neighbors finally called the well service and one week later...water. How deep would Wells have to go?

Justin said...

Things are the same up here on the caprock. These fires are becomming a regular thing and that scares me. They are banning the sale of fireworks this year. I think that will help.

jandean said...

I thought you were supposed to mount cow horns to the -hood- of a truck.

Unknown said...

That's a good book. Lot of stuff most people never hear about. The farmer he talks about in the meat section and Pollan are both heavily featured in the movie "Food, Inc." It's a good watch if you can stream it to your place.

Unknown said...

http://www.pbs.org/pov/foodinc/?gclid=CM2tstqzl6kCFYRa7Aod5UzTv

Unknown said...

http://video.pbs.org/video/1143263943/

Quixote Kid said...

We finally got 1.75" here in central TX about two weeks ago! Everything turned green, then the temps shot back up to 100 and the winds came back. Hope you get rain soon.

abstractexpressionist said...

May want to pound some rebar stakes around the tanks to keep them from skidding. Just a thought.

Allen Hare said...

I heard Michael Pollan on NPR's "Fresh Air". Fascinating stuff. We try not to eat any packaged foods, preferring instead fresh fruits, vegetables, and meats. It's tough to eat smart and healthy in today's mass produced world.

Great to see that new calf. It's way cute!