Friday, January 2, 2015

mobility

Near the end of my stay in Odessa, my healthcare worker came in to discuss procurement of a wheelchair for me for when I returned home.  There was a bit of an issue with my insurance from the medical supply company in Alpine - something about my insurance being cancelled at the end of the year.  Only took one phone call to clear it up.  Seems they were confused about the difference between cancellation and automatic renewal at the end of the billing cycle.

I started thinking about how I would best be able to get around back at TFL.  The head of the PT department was in charge of perscribing wheels for me.  The skinny wheels of a standard wheelchair are fine in a perfect world of hard/smooth floors but I felt I could use a little more tread out in my real world.  When I mentioned I would be needing all terrain tires, all I got was a blank stare.

Rather than just live with their only choice - I found a reasonable option online that I am ordering Monday.  Just the wheels I need that will fit the chair I got...a nice fat flat free alternative.  I'm also wondering what my insurance company is paying monthly for what I am riding around on.  I can buy the same model of the rental for $175 on Amazon.  33,35,29, .4",W

9 comments:

Margery Billd said...

Yes, looks like a better wheel. Buying could be an option too. How smart you are to know all this.

Margery Billd said...

Yes, I have seen people using wheels like that out at public places.

Steve said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steve said...

Next to the insurance companies and the pharma companies, the medical supply companies represent a tremendous and unnecessarily inflated drain on the healthcare system. Not much different than the now infamous $600 toilet seat that our "honest" and "deeply concerned" congressmen prefer.

#singlepayer

Ricardo said...

"all I got was a blank stare."


Wheelchair salesmen aren't known for their sense of humor.

Unknown said...

After watching you these past few years ,I am interested in how you are going to adept to your present dilemma.You will prevail I'm sure of that

rondeb said...

You need to install a wood path to those areas that you must get to. Much easier to roll around on. When my brother-in-law became wheelchair bound, we bought those plastic sheetings that go under your computer chair on carpet and placed them end to end to all the places he needed to go on the carpet. Worked so much easier for him. Some kind of planking that would reach your destinations would make your travels much easier.

Larry G said...

well - heckfire - why screw around with a whimpy wheel-chair how about one of these:

http://www.terrainhopper.com/

when you're done - I bet you could get a lot of your money back selling it used!

Unknown said...

I saw a wheelchair recently with mountain bike tires on it. Pretty cool idea I thought!