Tuesday, June 22, 2010

big brother

Yet another computer day...the new HP "all in one" (the CPU and drives are all mounted behind the screen) arrived this afternoon. Even out here in the middle of nowhere - one can order a computer on a Friday and have it delivered to the front door the following Tuesday. The thing I really love about a new computer is that it is usually twice the speed and storage for the same price (or less) of the old one. You gotta love Moore's Law. So far so very good but will take some time to get it up to speed with all the imaging software yet to be loaded. Nice to have a big screen again. One more item ordered before I deal further with the sick laptop. http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3276554&CatId=3770 With this gizmo I can pull the drives out and suck the info onto the new HP before sending it off for repair. 95,107,79,0,C

9 comments:

Bruce S said...

Good for you John. A new computer is like a new.... friend. No past problems or sins and the eager to please at your finger tips. Enjoy.

Unknown said...

John,

For the same money as the cable, you can get an external USB drive case that will protect the drive and make it good for backups in the future. When the drive on my HP laptop went out, I took the drive from the external case and put it in the laptop and was back in business shortly afterwards. I will shortly be picking up a new laptop--an ASUS this time, as they have among the best durability records of any brand. I will once again have an external backup drive, only this time with luck a USB 3.0 one.

Dizzy-Dick said...

Will that cable work with SCUSSI drives, also?

Joe Bob said...

John....I have used those HD gizmos for years. Just remember sometimes when you spin it up it is supposed to auto assign it a drive letter. Often it does not. So go into disk management and assign it one. Then it should show up and just start dragging stuff off of it. I have saved a lot of info for friends over the years that way. Also if you got Windows 7, go to blackviper dot com and he has great info for setting that up.

chempilot said...

getting a new computer is like getting a new girlfriend...

Tobster said...

Was energy consumption a consideration with that particular HP model? Thanks

PaulBunyan said...

John

I got one of these on Ebay new for less $10 shipped.

I enjoy reading your blog

Paul from high school

delgrego said...

Does HP still load their PCs full of useless crap, or did they finally stop doing that?

Pipsqeek said...

All large computer manufacturers load their PC's with crap. It's the affiliations and deals with rebates they do with the software companies.

Some manufacturers even assign that specific copy of Windows to each device. So you cannot transfer it to a newer model if the one you got dies.

Also, if you disagree with the terms and conditions, you can't get a refund on the software alone.... well, technically not, there are hoops, sticky tape and other hurdles to jump over and through to make that happen.

In saying that. I use linux because the crap that goes on it is my choice and I'm not treated like a criminal when I change my motherboard or video card. However, I also suggest the right tool for the job, and if Windows is what you need to do that job, then that's it.