Wednesday, June 23, 2010

shock the system...

Easy cool morning loading up the new Field Lab brain with software. In and out tending the cow.

Broke for a nap as it heated up outside then a long lunch at the GrubShack...including their soon to be world famous home made ice cream. My choice today was what I call Super Chocolate but Eva makes a couple of different flavors each week (I will try them all). I have resisted but now I am hooked.

Spent the afternoon researching sprouted wheat bread recipes....just the thing for my solar oven. Every day seems to be filled with more bad news from the outside world which tends to push me further away from our over-processed society. I'm afraid my beer bread recipe using generic self rising flour is doomed...and saving my last can of Spam for the Field Lab Museum. I welcome anyone's experience with organic bread making.

Dinner tonight - sprouted lentils and wheat berries with diced shallots and avocado in a quesadilla with Fontina cheese from Denmark. 94,101,76,0,B

10 comments:

mike said...

You are making me hungry

zwango said...

When you say "organic" what do you mean? Sourdough is a fine way to go. I wonder if it works different in different climates. It took a while to get the hang of it, but then it worked great..

ezrablu said...

LOVE the photo and dinner sounds fantastic! I agree with you on our crazy world...I'm trying fast as I can to get situated and ready for things to come. It's getting worse everyday and seems to be accelerating. You should invest $100 in a vacume sealer to begin storing dehydrated and dried foods. They store nicely in 5 gal buckets and will keep for years. You have the perfect weather for drying foods there. Have you stored up any hermetically sealed seeds yet for future use? A good book to buy is Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners.
And in case electronics become unuseable, I also invested in the whole Foxfire series books...INCREDIBLE knowledge from the Appalachian people on how to do EVERYTHING the old fashion way before gadgets.
Stock up on some ammo jw :o)

ezrablu said...

P.S. Buy a case of Spam for bartering with in the future...good as gold lol

ezrablu said...

P.P.S.S. Couple of good links to solar drying foods:

http://www.nda.agric.za/docs/solar/solardrying.htm

and

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/shaffer58.html

Ok, that's it, I promise (for tonight)

chempilot said...

with all the oil crap going on in the gulf, what you are doing is more relevant than ever. keep pushing the limits john!

Anonymous said...

chempilot?? Is that you responsible for all those chem trails??

S.A.B.L.E. said...

John, A good cookbook is "Laurel's Kitchen". There is also a bread cookbook. These are vegetarian and have some really great recipes. These were published some time ago but might still be able to get them online or maybe thru ebay.

Bon Appetit!

Allen Hare said...

I love this whole thread, John. I'm convinced that processed, packaged foods are killing us. ezrablu, I especially like your comments. I had some of the Foxfire books as a young man in N.C. and they are excellent.

Jay said...

Do not know if you will get this comment, but want to try it here and then I will try it on your latest post. I was living in Virginia Beach in 1974 and found this bread book. Fell in love with bread making because of it. Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/Tassajara-Bread-Book-Edward-Brown/dp/157062089X
Been reading your archive will comment at a later date, I am having a ball reading about your life.