Wednesday, November 20, 2013

desnaturalizado











Cold front blowing in this weekend with some slight chances of rain.  A double excuse for a supply run to Alpine.  On the list was some "correct" fuel for the beer can stove...that was the secret.  Boiled a can of soup with extra veggies in 5 minutes using 2 tablespoons of fuel.  (update:  Ok - I was just guessing how it would work out when I posted this, as I hadn't cooked dinner yet.  Just really cooked a can of Progresso Rich & Hearty Loaded Potato with Bacon soup with a can of creamed corn added to it.  Took 10 minutes (not 5) to bring the thick mass to a boil but only used 1 tablespoon of fuel)  64,81,45,0,B,0

4 comments:

Unknown said...

John,

I have been following and thoroughly enjoying your adventures and blog for about a month now. I am fascinated by the way you have adapted to and integrated into your environment. I am enjoying watching you apply modern off the grid technology to your situation and challenges.I particularly enjoyed today's beer can stove.

Jim said...

Big fan of the alcohol stove; I've built a few in the past. The simplest one worked great for a backpacking trip I took back in the day. It involved punching carefully spaced holes in an empty cat food tin. I used denatured alcohol and it was pretty fast to boil water for my evening meal and coffee in the morning.

Steve said...

Make one of those stoves out of a tall boy and I bet you'd be smelting silver! Or at least cooking bacon...

Kris said...

Thanks for posting this. When the power goes off, a little stove like that could be extremely useful.