Monday, November 25, 2013

pulled the plug...

No Carl Jr's....it just wasn't meant to be.  Rather than his failure to perform - I prefer to think that he was just too much of a gentleman.  As long as I have all the gear - will order some fertile eggs from his breed next spring to try out.  I really want to see hatching happen since I've never seen it before.

Had a mouse run in my open door just before the big cold swooped in on us.  Decided to just let him live it up for awhile while he could.  Even put out some food and water for him.  Had enough just before bedtime last night of his waking me up in the middle of the night, gnawing on papers under my counter.  Rigged a ramp to a large Rubbermaid storage tub with some sunflower seeds in it.  Turned out the lights and within 5 minutes I heard him "plop" in.  Put the lid on and let him spend the night in there.  Set him free by the barn once it warmed up this morning.  He's on his own now.  42,51,34,0,B,0

13 comments:

Kathryn said...

Good man! Live and let live. Unless they get of hand--then get a cat.

Anonymous said...

nice mice, should have offered him an egg...

ratgirls said...

Was just thinking of those eggs today - thought maybe I missed what happened - or didn't happen. Very nice of you to let the mouse have a safe night.

JohnnyM said...

Oh we'll, you have lots of good memories as we all do about Carl. Hope the spring hatchling you find another good friend or two.

Anonymous said...

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001382.htm

See: Outlook(Prognosis)

Wm. Pugh said...

Yeap, killed a man I knew across the pond. All he told me before he passed away was a rat peed on his leg and he did not think twice about it.
WhyR, not sure all but he did tell me that before he passed, never was on the computer after.
In the Swamp,
William

Ron Dame said...

Is it not funny how the older we get the more we respect life of any kind. Good job with the mouse.

Unknown said...

You and I think alike. My ramp had my finger prints leading the way to the top. My ink...an ever so light coating of peanut butter - not enough to eat, just enough to track. Didn't want him to be full by the time he got there. Then the inches below to top under the ramp point was the GLOB for him to reach for. Oops! But that's okay - small jar lid with water and some seeds at the bottom to reward the performing acrobat. Funny thing was...I caught a family of 6 in 2 nights. They too came to love the shed.

Chicks, chicks everywhere, and not a single one to lay. LOL You will totally love hatching time. It is awesome. I would get a dozen and let my girls pick ONE for a pet. They would paint their nails to tell them apart. APRIL was one...the other must not have had much personality because I can't remember her name.

ddferg said...

Too bad about Carl. But nice to know there are (were?) still some "gentlemen" out there.

Unknown said...

Rather then eggs, John. You would probably be better off ordering some chicks. Fertile mail order eggs are a sketchy proposition. Buy the minimum chicks from the nearest feed store and or hatchery. We used to mail order them all the time. The PO would call at about 4am and let us know the chicks were in. We hardly ever lost one and the ability to get varieties not available locally was a big plus. With a small flock, you could barter eggs and or your own chicks.

Rita B. said...

just wondering if you might have opened one of the eggs? that probably wouldn't have been a good idea....smelly. but wondered anway.

John Wells said...

I busted all the eggs outside....not even a hint of success. The eggs were definitely not fertile.

edlfrey said...

Quercus Lobata, All great advice but I think you missed what John wrote: "I really want to see hatching happen since I've never seen it before."