Thursday, November 14, 2013

this is how it went...

So....
Wednesday morning I'm online for awhile then start packing up for a recycling and supply run to Alpine.  Tried to log on again and my modem was just blinking...no internet.  Picked up my phone and got a dial tone so I figured it was just a modem glitch and would hope it worked itself out by the time I got home:
1.   Recycling center - dropped off glass'n'cans
2.   Bank - to notarize a deed for a land sale.
3.   Courthouse - paid my property taxes
4.   North end of town - picked up some alfalfa
5.   Phone company - paid my phone bill for Oct and Nov (!)
6.   Johnson Feed - chick and range feed
7.   AutoZone - terminal connectors I needed for my generator
8.   Grocery store - food
9.   Joe's house - Dropped off the deed to the seller and collected some cash
10. Highway - grabbed a huge tumbleweed to bring home (just because)
Made the round trip in record time.  Felt rather proud of myself for having such an efficient trip.  Got home to find still no internet.  Figured I would call them in the morning to sort it out.  Kept myself entertained till bedtime the old fashioned way...shortwave radio.

Still no internet this morning.  Checked all my wiring and still got a dial tone so it just had to be a bad modem.  Came down to the Motor Inn Cafe for breakfast and a chance to log on to announce my technical difficulties.  Also was hoping to run into Danny - our Big Bend Telephone service guy.  Came back home, checked all the stuff on my end one more time and decided it was time to call for service.  Although I got a dial tone, I wasn't able to call out.  At this point I was sure it was a problem with my phone line...not the modem.  Drove over to the Cains and used their phone to call for service.

My pride of efficiency got shot right down.  My phone had been disconnected for non payment!  I have gotten into the habit lately of skipping a month.  They send out a termination notice a couple of weeks later just before the bill for the next month arrives.  Once I get the next bill, I pay for 2 months.  Well this time I waited one day too long (actually 2 hours too long) and they shut me off.  Normally they charge $185 to reconnect (which includes a $150 penalty that apparently I signed off on when I got my phone contract).  The representative on the phone took pity on me and waved the penalty as a one time courtesy since I have been such a good customer.  So it cost me $35 for someone to flick a switch (or click a mouse) to turn my service back on....but I admit - I deserve a penalty.  I think I will make a point of paying my phone bill on time from now on.  54,59,42,0,B,0    

10 comments:

Dale said...

Just one of the pitfalls of procrastinating. I love the autopay feature at my bank.

Mike said...

You should use Paytrust.com for your bills, it works great been using them for 10yrs.

rpm said...

glad you said "short wave radio".

Rita B. said...

You did not waste one minute. Very efficient. And I had heard that tumbleweeds got that big but had never seen one. Guess they're not very heavy. Don't know where you bank, but surely they have online bill pay? But in small towns it is nice to go in person.

Unknown said...

It would be so cool to put that tumbleweed in my front yard and cover it with christmas lights! Maybe you have a Ripley's believe it or not-sized specimen? I hope you'll let us know where it ends up--toy for the boys, maybe?

Pelon said...

Have you ever lit a Russian Thistle (tumbleweed) on fire at night? Spectacular. Also know you are sowing the seeds of that dastardly plant all over the Field Lab.

bargirl238 said...

Been there done that so now I have auto pay for my phone and electric there is nothing like sitting in the dark and no phone service to call anyone. LOL
How are Carl's babies when will they hatch? Can't wait to see them.Love your tumbleweed would love to have 1 here in Fl.Enjoy your veggies.

pamit said...

I saw the other day where someone made a light fixture out of a tumbleweed. It was gorgeous!

Un Paisano said...

John- You are making a big mistake bringing that tumbleweed to your property. It is horribly invasive and you'll never get rid of them. BAAAaaadddd stuff.

Moonshadow said...

People buy tumbleweeds you know... http://www.prairietumbleweedfarm.com/