Tuesday, October 18, 2016

somehow they just knew...


Got my wheels and axles today.  Will also be using a couple of the fiberglass rods as structural framing.  Finally settled on a metal order for the rest of the rig from my favorite one stop shop for metal bits in just about any type, size, or quantity - Speedy Metals.  I thought I had it figured out and placed an order late Friday afternoon with them, but changed my mind over the weekend.  You have to call them to cancel an order and can only cancel bits they haven't cut yet.  I frantically called them at 7 AM Monday and caught it before they had begun which was lucky because they are very "speedy" when you order from them - the order I placed today will most likely ship tomorrow.  About an hour after confirming my order, I just happened to get one of those reminder emails from Amazon Prime - new recommendations for you based on your browsing history.  Low and behold they had just the suggestion for the exact part I needed but forgot to order.  88,95,56,0,B

7 comments:

Mike Silvius said...

For 4130 tubing I always got the best deals at http://www.airpartsinc.com/

John Wells said...

Thanks...I will keep that in mind if I ever need some aluminum.

Joel White said...

Another source I've used -

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/

4130 streamline tubing -

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/mepages/4130streamline.php?clickkey=3505

Wyowanderer said...

I love speedy metals. It's easy to get exactly what you need, fast. Also, Aircraft Spruce is great as well, and very reasonably priced (you will have to sop around a bit).

JohnT said...

Great rod and wheels pic John, the Amazon algorithms department works pretty hard don't they.

LeoinSA said...

Not knowing, I'm supposing... so... if'n yer gonna use those set collars as wheel retainers, it might behoove ya to use a drill bit that's a loose fit in the threaded holes of the collar to make a decent sized dimple in the shaft so that the set screw has a 'home'. Then, a copious amount red loctite on the set screw threads will help ensure that engine vibrations won't loosen the set screws while in flight and a wheel decide to part ways with you at 500'. Just sayin'.

John Wells said...

Thanks LeoinSA....my thoughts exactly. I might even tack weld them too. FYI - just got shipping notification that my speedy metals order shipped this afternoon.