Saturday, July 3, 2010

rainy day project...

Drizzle again off and on all day...nowhere to go but the kitchen.  Tried my first test loaf of sprout bread.  Going for a sweet loaf this time so I added honey.  Everything went according to plan (almost) and it even tasted good, but it didn't quite cook all the way through.  The dough was very wet to begin with.   Next time I will try adding some dry whole wheat flour to the mix to firm it up.  Avoiding yeast for now to keep it simple.  No sun today so I baked it in the propane grill at solar oven temperature.












Field Lab Sprouted Wheat Bread - First Test
2 C dry wheat berries sprouted for 48 hours yields approx. 5 1/2 C sprouts
2 TBS Terlingua Bee Honey (not from my hive - but from another that was recently moved)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt









Keep in mind, this test came out a little too crispy on the outside and and little too gooey on the inside...but if that's the way you want it - this is how to do it.  Rather cake-like and very hearty.  Soak the wheat berries for 12 hours in water - rinse and drain 4 times over the next 36 hours.  Spread out the sprouts on paper towels to dry them a bit.  Run sprouts through the meat grinder one cup at a time.  Ground sprouts are very sticky so kneed well for 10 minutes using vegetable oil on hands.  Add honey, cinnamon, and salt and continue to kneed for 5 more minutes.  Form a ball, place in bowl and cover with paper towel - let rest for 1 hour.  Lightly grease 1 Qt. Dutch Oven and place dough inside and cover.  Bake at 325 degrees for 2 hours.  Remove cover and continue to bake for another 1/2 hour.  Remove bread from Dutch Oven immediately after baking and allow to cool.  Eat.  74,89,67, .36",B

BTW...thank you blogger.com for your recent change to the tool bar making it much easier to compose my blog posts.

8 comments:

Billy Bob said...

Change to the blogger tools??? What change?
That bread look pretty dern good, but how does it rise without yeast?

JLP said...

Using charcoals when their is no sun should do very well. Place a few coals beneath the dutch oven and a few more on the lid. Then just check it often until it looks like it is ready. May require some trial and error but is the way cowboys have baked for years.

ezrablu said...

Mmm...picture perfect. Haven't tried grinding sprouts yet...but I have done it to wheat grass then drink the juice. If you want super energy, give that a try...wow. I've only gotten into the sprouting scene about 6 months ago myself. I wish I would have started it years ago. I'm no PETA person but it's down right amazing how good a person feels when you stop eating all that meat and processed food.

Anonymous said...

I never heard of wheat berries! I Googled it and looks like I was the last to know! Where would you buy these? Online with shiping? I made Humuus today for the first time and it was good. It was easy..I'm not a good cook!!I went to meat.com and paul mccarthey grossed me out.

Fred said...

Where's the gravy? That and a bowl of cream gravy would be great! Veggie oil of course!

Unknown said...

If you want to call a kernal of wheat a berry you go right on John .

Unknown said...

The only difference between the two is price. People that use the word berry is selling the sizzle.

Ben in Texas said...

Checked your cow cam today,July 4th...No flag flying? Don't have one?