Sunday, July 14, 2013

The voice of your spirit...

I am reminded today of my years in NYC.  The first year I was in the thick of it, I found it hard to go to sleep at night because the buzz was constant...I couldn't help but think that by going to bed, I was missing out on some fun out there.  After a few years that lure wore off but the buzz was constant still - then in the annoying form of car alarms and endless black noise clatter.  Made it hard to think clearly let alone listen to my spirit.

Now that I have constant quiet...I am trying to train myself to hear the word of God.  It is a bit tricky because first we have our Heart - the deceitful center of physical and spiritual life.  Next is the soul - God's famous free will gift to us which is the seat of our feelings/desires/affections.  And then there is the Spirit...our only link to God's voice but remains dormant as being controlled by our earthly bondage.  That pathway is very hard to hear but the voice is there.  The heart is wicked and all but dead...as bondage to the heart and soul diminishes - the voice of the spirit gets easier to hear.

Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked : who can know it? 10 I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick , and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Galatians 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would . 18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

1 Corinthians 2:9 But as it is written , Eye hath not seen , nor ear heard , neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. 10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. 11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received , not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

-Thanks to Pastor John Wiley for this message
http://river.sermon.tv/8775110

7 comments:

Jennifer Chandler said...

Beautiful words and a much welcomed message/reminder to 'Be still and know that He is God'!

Smackmama said...

I look forward to your blog every Sunday night. Have a great week John.

Unknown said...

I get your blog the day after you write it, because of the time difference I am asleep when you write it. You give me a look at what life should be. Enjoy.

Janet said...

John -- If you scroll down, you will read of Bruce Olson's experience of hearing the "piping" turkey in the midst of loud jungle noise. An amazing man, an amazing book . . . http://www.bruceolson.com/english/texts/beotext1.html

Unknown said...

Good words, John.

Dizzy-Dick said...

Very well stated, my friend. Keep up the good work.

remmij said...

in reference to Janet's post about Bruce Olson:
first, great parallel to John's observations on auditory/spiritual filtering and sifting - enjoyed reading both John and Bruce's accounts.
A small aside: while I ended up reading the entire 'Hostage' story (plus some of the others on his site) if someone wanted to quickly find the 'piping turkey' reference they could use this tool - it has saved me a great deal of time since I learned about it -
CTRL+F(pc),⌘+F()