Sunday, January 5, 2014

Eyes on Jesus

From my friend Frank Autrey
(on the right...pictured here with Dick Cain)
 
Challenges come against you in your walk that are terrifying and horrific.  The enemy wants you to take your eyes off Jesus.  I am reminded of Peter when he saw Jesus walking on the water and said, Lord if it is you - bid me to come.  Jesus did and Peter stepped out on the sea and was walking on the sea.  But Peter saw the boisterous waves, took his eyes off Jesus, and began to sink.
Peter was pretty smart - well smart enough to call out to Jesus, Lord save me!
In life these things we think are horrifying and terrifying are just things to have us take our eyes off Jesus.  It is a military strategy - a diversion to keep you moving in an unproductive direction away from your mission directive.  Keep your eyes on Jesus.  Keep the faith. 
 
Psalm 91:1 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. 2 I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust . 3 Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence. 4 He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust : his truth shall be thy shield and buckler. 5 Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day; 6 Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday. 7 A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee. 8 Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked. 9 Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;            

7 comments:

seth said...

Ephesians 6:10-18 Put on your armor and keep your eyes on the prize.

Dizzy-Dick said...

So true. When we take our eyes off Jesus, that is when we ourselves in trouble.

just.Bob said...

"a diversion to keep you moving in an unproductive direction away from your mission directive."

Maybe a little off track, maybe not. My wife was reading about Penn & Teller hiring this guy for their show. I watched this and several other YouTube videos about this guy this morning.

http://youtu.be/MG2HPtbV-80

Better not take your eyes off him.

pamit said...

Hmm, I think Jesus would want us to work against things that are horrifying and terrifying, not ignore them in order to "keep our eyes on the prize". Think hunger, animal abuse, environmental disregard. Even the old testament said we are supposed to be stewards of the earth. Right?

Rita B. said...

Two mighty fine looking gents.

Chris Miller said...

Frank is one of the finest men I have ever met. I sure wish he was still heading up the ranch.

Boopster said...

It's been awhile since I checked your blog. The 91st Psalm is what I read every day the year my nephew was deployed to Iraq. He came home safely. Thanks for your faith. Yes, we all need to keep our eyes on Jesus.