Sunday, March 22, 2015

the danger of inaction

Matthew 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.  41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:  42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:  43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.  44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?  45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.  46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

8 comments:

Margery Billd said...

Personally I think it would have been awful to have had to go to church week in and week out with no choice. Of course church is good, though.

Steve said...

I wonder if the Koch brothers have ever seen that passage.

Margery Billd said...

One of the brief highlights of my life was a spending time with a smart, funny, wealthy lady who's father had managed the oil industry in Texas and Louisiana. We shared the same ideas and interests and experiences and we laughed a lot. She even looked like the Koch family. Then she developed Sundowner Syndrome to my regret. Discussing the Bible with her is not in my memory though.

Margery Billd said...

The air quality over Terlingua is sometimes lower and that is because of the pollution from Houston blowing over.

pamit said...

Yep, the "leaders" who want to slash aid to the poor, food stamps, you name it...when was the last time they gave a hand to someone in need? Oh, they want churches to step in and do that? Hmm. Good luck with that, given the increasing numbers of below-poverty-line citizens in this country. Sad.

Steve said...

@Pam – Agreed! I've never met a person who is poor who wants to be poor – worrying if the kids will get fed that night, or debating if they can afford to take their child to a doctor to be treated for an ear infection. It's disgusting to see how little is done to help those in need, particularly when you look at the US defense budget. Heck, (former) Congressman Schock (R) spent more taxpayer dollars redecorating his office than a low income family makes in 2 years of full time work at minimum wage. I'm afraid if things don't change there are going to be crowds showing up with pitchforks to exact a little justice on Capital Hill.

Margery Billd said...

I always thought that some of that nutrition packed food that the U.S. exported to certain countries should have been made available to U. S. people (including Applachian children too).

Jim in WNC said...

Steve - Koch Industries have provided work for thousands and have given much to charity. Do what you believe is your part concerning that verse and don't whine about whether you think others are doing theirs.