Tuesday, September 20, 2016

on being sensitive...

Dove back into the wifi repeater snafu again today.  Although the new Netgear repeater works well, I have been determined to get the 5 year old Linksys WRT54GL back to communicating with my wireless network because it can bump the signal out a lot farther.  Was finally able to log into it (with the username and password that UK Neil brillianly saved to a notepad file on my computer).  Going through all the settings in the firmware that Neil had installed, I only found one tiny tidbit amiss.  The network name I put in on the Linksys (5 years ago) was slightly different from what I set up on the new Big Bend Telephone router I now have.  My network name is the same but the old setup had some capital letters in it and my new setup is all lower case.  The name of the network is also called the SSID - short for service set identifier.  Turns out the SSID is case sensitive.  If you really want to know more about SSID - it is an alphanumeric character set that is a unique identifier attached to the header of packets sent over a wireless local-area network (WLAN).  The SSID, a component of IEEE802.11 WLAN architecture, acts as a password when a mobile device (or repeater in my case) tries to connect to the basic service set (BSS) - my Big Bend Telephone router.  I changed a few letters and the Linksys is back in business.
I feel a little smarter now....do you?  90,95,69,0,B

10 comments:

Rita B. said...

Everyone in our office is pulling their hair out because of all the passwords needed for absolutely every tiny bit of software. There's the one for Creative Cloud, there's all the email names, there's all the different servers which must be protected with passwords. Some can't be alpha or numeric, some MUST be alpha AND numeric. And on top of all this are the different sites we personally log into each day....I nearly wasn't able to order books from Barnes and Noble today because I forgot the darn password. Glad you got it all figured out. But the question is, will we get to watch Ben and Javier now? I like peeking in to the Wunderground site. But "live" would be better. I think that's Ben over there right now....time says 6:49:52.

John Wells said...

Dinner for Ben and Javier is broadcast every night now at 7:30 PM...no guarantee that Javier will always be there.

Rita B. said...

Thanks John!....I'll check back in 30.

Unknown said...

I feel dumber ... I don't know how to watch Ben and Javier having dinner.???
I guess I missed something. Hope you'll repeat the directions please.

John Wells said...

The link is on the top in the header of the Blog page. Life off the grid in the SW Texas desert. An experiment in sustainable living. NUMBERS AT THE END OF EACH BLOG POST: temp at 8PM,high temp,low temp,rainfall,wind conditions(CalmBreezyWindyGusty). Live streaming video at http://ustre.am/TM8N

remmij said...

felt smarter until realized I'd been dropping nickels in the phone to hear the dial tone…
missed the dinner bell tonight, but it looks like there was a full house… getting dark, too dark to see
Avril
Welcome to the channel The Field Lab (#the-field-lab)
MexicoMama 6:58 PM2 bunnies, Javier and Ben. Wonderful.
thefieldlab-1 7:08 PMgetting dark...signing off soon
thefieldlab-1 7:12 PMthat it for tonight....tune in tomorrow

remmij said...

waiting for the call…

Unknown said...

Thanks for the links John. Will enjoy watching this evening.

dmreece said...

Well, that clears it up.

neil said...

I knew you could, I knew you could.