Sunday, January 31, 2010

Longhorn Season!

Well I must say that having about 100 people come visit the Field Lab in one day was an interesting experience. The nice thing is that they were are genuinely interested in what I have going on here and I certainly appreciated that. I was happy to be a part of this fund raiser for our local community theatre group - Last Minute Low Budget Productions. I rather enjoyed showing off my project to 6 different groups today...and looking forward to no visitors at all for awhile. Funny thing is...after all the tours today, I only have photos of longhorns.

Now as nice as the day went with other humans - I must say that the absolute highlight was the return of 7 longhorns. Just after the first tour finished, I noticed some old friends approaching from the south. Of course I started mooing right away. I have really missed having longhorns run up to my house. This group was 5 cows and 2 calves - two of the cows I recognized. The brown one I named Wheezer last year due to her cough (she is much better now). The other familiar face I had yet to come up with a name for - so today I named her Marlys, after my BFF from the Big Bend Gazette. 46,69,35,0

9 comments:

mike said...

Hope those cows hang around

Anonymous said...

Any sign of Benita?


John, get some "Field Lab" T-shirts made up for next years "Home Tour". You would make a killing $$$$.

Anonymous said...

How sweet is that?

Caboose said...

WOW! That is a lot of people, History was made for the Field Lab. You need a sign in book to remember all these people. The Tee Shirt idea would have help to buy more supplies, and I am sure they would have enjoyed them.
Good to see the Long Horns are back, I was wishing to see Benita with them. I like the color of Wheezer, good she is better now. Save that cow poo for your plants.

neil said...

I just happened to grab a few pics yesterday, 2,271 to be precise. Here they are, all stitched together with some pedestrian music...
TFL-TimeLapse-20100131

Congrats on the tour success!!!

Mary Lee said...

John,
Looks like you have some breakfast guests this morning. They must have liked the menu yesterday. The large brown one just flopped down on the ground....to get closer to the food? One of the black and whites is now checking out the camera. Lots of early morning activity at the Field Lab!

D. B. Day IV said...

Neil,

I've started watching the timelapses and really enjoy them. Cool addition to the blog. Thanks for the effort.

Marlys Hersey said...

Well... That is certainly one of the highest honors I have had in all my time in West Texas. Thanks! When can I meet her?
Marlys

Allen Hare said...

What a day!

I like the guest book idea.