Saturday, January 9, 2010

Record COLD!

Now that's what I'm talkin' about.... 7.7 degrees at 7:07AM. Excuse me, but this is not the kind of temperature that I moved to the desert to experience. Not a breeze outside so it didn't really feel that cold - although I didn't stay outside long enough to get my bones chilled. 55 degrees inside when I woke up at 5:30 - my little heater only took an hour to warm me up to 72. Something tells me I will look fondly back on this morning come late June.

Took quite a bit of time for the sun to have any effect on the air temp. Was only able to get a half day in but made the best of what I had. Welded the top purlin into place with just a couple of little adjustments to get the 54' way more than close enough strait. The scaffold I borrowed from my friend Marbert has been invaluable in the effort. Had to make two passes with my rolling platform but it sure beats working off a ladder....and happy to not have to strap the welder to my back.

Kept catching a glimpse of my Hula girl beaded curtain in the setting sun while cleaning up after work and couldn't help but think about the warm days on the horizon....and looking forward to the seasonal climate change ahead. I feel pretty confident that this little chilly blast will be the last for the winter. I just hope that 21 year old Benita made it through the cold snap OK. Moo! 39,59,7.7,0

9 comments:

Tiffany said...

Can not believe that the deep freeze has traveled that far south, our temp was -3 in Missouri last night.

Scavenger said...

I found the temps there a little shocking for the area. Where is global warming when you need it ;)
My guess is that it just the nature of weather - hard to figure out and ever changing. Like you said, probably just going to start warming up soon. Looking forward to seeing the green house roof going up.

czardastx said...

I hope Benita made it through it too. Moo!

MsBelinda said...

I thought of Benita last night. I hope she did ok and had some food to eat.

Caboose said...

Let's pray for Benita, that she is warm and have food and doing good. John misses Benita and we do too.

Unknown said...

You have to weld the perlins? Oh me. That lets me out. I thought they just snapped together.

Unknown said...

7 ain't so bad...we routinely see double that on the other side of zero...today in the midday heat its pushing 38...dam near feels like t-shirt weather compared to last wees negative digits.

Unknown said...

Hi John,
I'm watching progress from sunny (and hot n humid) Queensland.
Q. What are the numbers at the end of each segment? (eg. 39,59,7.7,0)
Q. What's going on top of the purlins? Will moisture be a problem if trapped in the bottom of the c sections?

It's all intriguing and quite captivating - worlds apart. Also v.entertaining. I love the trusses!

John Wells said...

number strings...temperature at 8PM, high temp, low temp, rainfall amount