Friday, January 8, 2010

steam...

Been thinking about modifying my outdoor shower lately. Bathing in the great outdoors certainly has its perks, but there just aint no way to keep the breeze off out there. This mornings hot/steamy shower at the Antelope Lodge was a turning point. I would really like to fully enclose my shower system here so I can get that same steamy effect....of course with some windows that will open for the middle of summer when a hot/steamy shower is no longer that appealing. Another project to add to the list.

Had a great night basking so much closer to the edge of humanity in my motel setting. Got my TV and Pizza Hut fix for the month. Clouds from the latest cold front started clearing in Alpine around noon. First stop after checking out was the Brewster County tax office to pay my property tax bill for last year. $89.57....down almost 50 bucks from 2008 due to my applying for a homestead exemption. Sweeeeeet!

Made the usual shopping rounds and stocked up on all that's good. Problem was that I couldn't find some vital parts for the entrance tower flame throwers so I will have to make an Odessa trip to good ol' Home Depot. Last stop before heading back to the ranch was Bullshirtz - our local screen printing shop. Hung out and chatted with Rick McDowell, the owner. Getting ready for a production run of Field Lab t shirts......(you know you want one).
Not a cloud in the sky but still in the low 30's when I left Alpine. Unfortunately, I beat the sun heading south. Caught up to the cloud cover about 10 miles north of the Field Lab. 33 outside and 45 inside when I got back. My propane heater brought the hut temp up to 65 in about an hour. It sure is nice to spend a night every now and then at the Antelope Lodge - but there's no place like home. 27,35,22,0

10 comments:

Tiffany said...

Glad you made it back to the homestead. I am sure the civilation stop was all you needed.

SIferryguy said...

XL please;)

4 Borders Pundit said...

An enclosed shower sounds fine. Why not figure out how to build a solar steam room, as well?

Anonymous said...

You got enough room on your place, How about a Nordic style Sauna hut(sweat lodge) for the winter. Heat up some rocks in a fire and steam your self clean. Of course it wouldnt be that attractive in the summer time unless your coolhand luke.

Andy V said...

There is not only a homestead exemption available, but also an agricultural one where if you can claim a coupla head of livestock (think Benita & friends), its a REAL advantage! I mean, if you wanna beat your present $86 buck$ a year deal! I hate to see you overpay on your prop tax. And you can also use insurance from the likes of Farm Bureau or Hocheim Prairie which are member-owned TEXAS- based "good deal" companies to be associates with! Keep warm, amigo.

Caboose said...

Welcome back home!

Boo Barksdale said...

Field Lab t-shirts...I can dig it.
where do we sign up?

S.A.B.L.E. said...

Yes, I would like a field lab t-shirt. Like you, I enjoy an occassional visit to the big city, but it is good to get back home to the farm to de-stress. Pretty chilly over here in E. Tx., only 14 this morning. When it's cold out, a hot steamy shower is so nice.

Allen Hare said...

Yes, OGT's comment about a real sauna sounds great, especially in winter. Maybe you could incorporate a shower into a steam room for winter. If you could run a line from an outside propane tank to a burner placed up under a pile of rocks in the middle of your sauna room, all you would have to do is splash some water on the rocks, and viola, instant steam! Could be built ealily from rock, which you have plenty of, or that rammed earth like the battery house. Of course, you would keep the present solar shower for warm weather use. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Zoe said...

Definitely need a field lab t-shirt!!