Tuesday, March 15, 2011

first yucca bloom...













Three spring break tours today then back to the plan.  Decided that instead of dumping about 4,500 gallons of old stored creek water - I should probably relocate it to my favorite plants rather than just wet some rocks.  That will take a bit of extra time but that seems to be just what I have before we will get any rain out here.  Need to empty the two (3000 gallon) furthest tanks from the greenhouse before relocating them to the gutter system. Got one load of 125 gallons out late this afternoon for some of my bigger yucca plants.  Low and behold - I found a yucca starting a bloom about 50 yards south of the complex.  This will be Benita's birthday present next month once it goes to flower.  They are like candy to a longhorn.  79,84,46,0,B

14 comments:

Gaelyn said...

Benita's pretty smart then, the yucca flowers are delicious and loaded with moisture. You should try it yourself.

Son of Liberty said...

comin together...

Larry Prater said...

Finally caught up on your blog. And found your place on Google Earth, so I now know better where you are. One of my nieces used to live in Midland and I have crossed the border at Piedras Negras before. I have never been to the Big Bend area.
I would like to try a solar oven some day, I am not up to making one, I don't think. I have seen a couple around here.
We only have dry toilets here, even in our spa.
I am very impressed with your resourcefulness.

Ricky said...

Hey good buddy is the web cam going to be back up soon nothing here since the 11th im missing all the exciting tank wrangeling..

CoolChange©© said...

What Gaelyn said! Just grab a handful and start munching. Good in a salad mix, also.

Phyllis said...

Hi I found you via the Times article. Have not read all of yoru posts but I'm wondering if you have chickens. They are such easy care animals.

Unknown said...

Hi John,
First time poster here. I really enjoy your blog, thanks for all your efforts. It’s fascinating for me to read and learn about a part of this country I know very little about.
Irish Pete

texmom said...

There are lots of yucca flower recipes online. I've eaten them before and they are delightful.

Cindy Talbot said...

Interesting to know you can eat Yucca... but I bet Benita gets the first one.

Unknown said...

I baked my first batch of Olive Beer Bread today. I definitely needed to give it a few more minutes in the oven, so we will be toasting it. It tastes fantastic. I blogged about it which you can read at www.brendasthirdlife.blogspot.com

Redfoxx said...

Hey, I saw your story in NY times and then spent about 4 hours going through your blog and flickr pages. You're an inspiration, thanks for putting this out for us. Why did you stop loading pics to flickr?

Unknown said...

Hey John really enjoying your posts .

Allen Hare said...

Yep, those two tanks are pretty far away...

Susanna said...

Red yucca flowers? Wow! Or are they going to turn white eventually?
Still gorgeous.