Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Waterboxxers...

























Met up with my new best friend family this morning...the Schneiders (Bill, Ben, Beth, Anna).  Anna is getting her upper learning at UT...so I insisted that she hand feed Benita when they stopped by for a visit after working all day (send me the photo when you get a chance).  From a previous post -  Bill contacted me a little while back about a water delivery for his waterboxx experiment out here.  http://www.groasis.com/page/uk/index.php  So nice to meet such a great family all working together on such an interesting project.  I trucked out 250 gallons of water while they installed 30 waterboxxes for the big test in the Big Bend.  I will be checking the progress for them once a week... Chilopsis linearis, Celtis laevigata reticulate, Acacia farnesiana, Atriplex canescens, Cercidium microphyllum (my favorite), Rhus microphylla, and Ziziphus jujube.  Bill gave me two more waterboxx units so now I have 6 to try out at TFL.  71,90,44,0,C

7 comments:

Gavin Thomas said...

I went and watched the video at the groasis site. That's such an interesting concept, and I hope it's a success out their around the field lab.

I bet you'll have to worry about the cattle nibbling the shoots off once they poke out the top!

Anonymous said...

would be nice to see if it works! Thanks!

Cindy Talbot said...

Like Gavin, I watched the video as well and will be interested to see what happens. I had the same thought about the wildlife nibbling on the seedlings.

Did they order the boxes straight from the groasis site? That was quite an investment for an experiment...

Ricky said...

would love to see how tomatos would grow in these in drought areas i'm more fore food tham trees..

alam0tx said...

I have been reading your past blogs...Your lifestyle is fasinating..The engineering of the swamp cooler was right on...lived in San Angelo for many years...it was the only coolin we had...again I am a fan..retired so will look in often..

Judith said...

If you run out of hackberrys let me know. I know where there are some. What a difference 350 miles makes. But I wish you luck on the jujubes. I've never been able to catch them in fruit as they are in out of the way places. But they are supposed to be good.

Son of Liberty said...

I've been wondering about those. You had mentioned them a while back and it really got my interest up. If all goes well, I'd like to set some up out on my land. Just need to figure out a solid solution for remote watering as I'm not down there often enough to take care of them. Can't wait to see how they turn out.