Sunday, March 27, 2011

tankwright...

Terlingua Creek Cat's Eye morning.  Maria and Will from Sul Ross had a chance to sit down and discuss my special plant at The Field Lab with Bill Lindemann ( twice past president of the Native Plant Society of Texas) and his associate Jane Crone. 
The pros were brought out by my friend Carolyn Ohl.  I learned about the oasis she created in the desert about a year before I moved here and it was the inspiration for my dam project. http://cmoasis.blogspot.com/ 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
We have fewer flowers happening this year due to the weather and many blooms are already going to seed.  Maria took a chunk of my biggest plant for further study and placed a GeoCache nearby. http://www.geocaching.com/ ...it will be listed on the site soon.

Back to some real work this afternoon and got the SE tank into position.  71,87,45,0,B

Note:  I have received quite a few postcard set and mug orders in the past week - they will all ship tomorrow - you will get an email confirmation once they are in the mail.

8 comments:

Stooth said...

When you dam up a water source in the desert don't you deprive the downstream animals and plants the water they depend on?

Cindy Talbot said...

A geocache placement eh? Now you will have more visitors ... you may need to hire a tour guide ;) ... I will be logging the cache when I am there, but I wonder who will be FTF (first to find), for it is the true gold ring for many cachers...

ezrablu said...

My son and I are do some geocaching and have hidden several ourselves. He made some really cool ones out of logs by cutting little drawers that slide out of the logs to put the loot into. The logs are in plain sight but blend right in with nature so people have a fun time trying to find them. Yep, you're gonna get more visitors with that nearby :o)

John Wells said...

RW...the benefit to plants and wild life by creating a year round standing water source far outways the loss of the occasional rush through a seasonal creek. I will be holding back a very small portion of a minor tributary - part of a huge watershed encompassing many hundreds of square miles.

. . . . . said...

Yea! I'm a geocacher!

Terry Lively said...

Benita's a rock star....

Allen Hare said...

Some very interesting stuff today, John. Glad to see that you got that tank in place. I checked out the two links. I never knew anyone lived in those Christmas Mountains. The geocaching looks very fun and adventuresome. Might have to get involved!

Carolyn Ohl-Johnson said...

Ronald, John is correct. My diversion dams fill up my reservoirs in less than 10 minutes during a flash flood. The rest just makes its way to the Gulf of Mexico. What I keep is a drop in the bucket but provides valuable, much needed habitat for wildlife. My sister's place is along the same arroyo below my dams and since I've built the dams 15 years ago her place has noticed no less flow than before. For big dams, especially places along the upper Rio Grande, that irrigate endless fields and orchards there may be a legitimate complaint however.