Monday, March 21, 2011

giant asparagus!

Chuck tagged along for a dual Alpine run today.  Interesting how conversation evolves when two New Yorkers get together.  Me - mostly Benita treats (she was patiently waiting when I drove up) and some parts investigation to inspire my gutter first flush and downspout systems...Chuck - lumber,parts, and tools.  Chuck splurged for lunch on the far west side of town at my favorite Alpine restaurant ...Texas Fusion.  Spotted two century plants along the road - Texas style asparagus (imagine what your pee would smell like after eating one of these).  Going to town was an all day affair so didn't get settled home till 5:30PM.  Nice total cloud cover for a change and an 80% chance it won't rain tonight so I cut a downspout hole in each gutter...just in case.   75,89,51,0,B

 











Note:  Visit number 600,000 happened today at 7:35:48AM -  from Jefferson City, Missouri

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been following your blog since I saw the article in the "Times." I was born in the City, but have lived in the west most of my life. I currently live in Tombstone, AZ, where among other things I help to take care of a small herd of Longhorns owned by the company I work for. Keep up the good work, I enjoy reading about your projects and am a Facebook Fan of Benita's.

Wm. Pugh said...

John, This is what I use before I paint steel.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/pwr/product-reviews/Paints/Primers-Sealers-Undercoats/Ospho/p/557-Ospho-Metal-Treatment.html
Just a little FYI & IMHO.
William

Gaelyn said...

Looks like the temps dropped a bit.

Dani said...

John - they certainly look like asparagus - is the fruit of those century plants edible? How would you prepare it?

And a trivial bit of information - did you know not everyone can smell the "asparagus smell" in their urine after eating it. Apparently the ability to do so is genetically passed on LOL

Dizzy-Dick said...

Your Texas Mom and I still read your blog every day and keep an eye on you and your doings. Don't comment too much, just once in awhile to let you know we are still alive and kicking. Hope to see you soon.

Stephen said...

I was visitor 600,000 from JC, MO! I check every morning to see what you were up to the day before, really enjoy watching your progress. Cheers! Stephen

Dr00 said...

I read where you can make Pulque out of Century Plant. I learn something new everyday on this blog. Thanks for that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulque

smreid said...

Just mailed my gift for Benita's birthday. Hopefully she'll have room left over after all that hay and feed! If she's anything like my "girls", she'll snarf them down!

Allen Hare said...

A fine day, indeed. Hope Benita likes her treats.

That's a fine looking hole you cut for the downspout. I guess you already have the material for the rest of the roof plumbing. Can't wait to see the complete system.